The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 12:12 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Lightest 2wt blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieoutlaw View Post
I'm not sure I agree with either notion.

First, two rods with identical mass but different tapers will balance differently. Whether that is noticeable to the user depends on the user. But, as I mentioned, I have a heavier rod with a better taper which allows me to have lighter "swing weight" (moment of inertia) and use a lighter reel to balance. Effectively, the taper made for a lighter setup. It is certainly noticeable to me after three casting strokes let alone a day on the water.

Second, I agree that better casting fixes a lot of problems that are otherwise attempted to be solved by additional rods or equipment. However, the example about heavier flies may be true to an extent, but at some point the physics takes over and you are no longer able to cast the line, rather you are casting the heavier fly. No further casting improvement can change that. If the fly weighs more--or even the same as-- the fly line mass, you simply need a heavier line. For a 2wt example, the largest I seem to be able to consistently throw is a #12 weighted wooly bugger. Bigger than that, and the bug usually pulls the line.
I do agree that tapers are more noticeable, although I was just talking straight oz weight of the same taper.

I also agree that the physics change when the fly size reaches a certain point, and a higher weight line becomes necessary. I do not, however, always think this is really a problem. I have definitely had times (such as with clousers and heavy weighted flies, where the fly is pulling the line and not the other way around. In these instances, I never really noticed any significant loss of distance. I realize its not an IDEAL situation, but for species like bass that aren't very picky about presentation and can even be attracted to sloppy presentations, it never really made me think twice about my gear being incorrect.

Maybe I am just more laid back than most about my presentations or gear. For me, if it gets where I wanted it to go, then I don't worry too much about how it got there.
aggieoutlaw likes this.