The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 12:17 PM

tshirey is on a distinguished road
Default Lightest 2wt blank

What is the lightest 2wt & 8wt blanks you have experience with? When I fish I tend to stay out from sun up to sun down. Im looking to build the lightest rods possible...
Old 07-08-2013, 04:08 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: Lightest 2wt blank

I'm not sure I'd worry too much about a 2wt blank's weight as they're all pretty light and the reel seat and rod length probably has more to do with weight than the blank model.

I am pretty sure that the Orvis Helios 2 is the lightest 8wt blank out there, but most manufacturers have a very lightweight 8wt blank to sell you (Loomis excluded )
Old 07-08-2013, 06:44 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

When rods are near 2oz or less, Gross weight is less important than taper, length, and weight distribution.

Case in point, my Redington CT 762 is lighter than my Echo Carbon 732. But the Carbon is significantly lighter in swing weight. I use a 4 oz reel to balance my CT and a 2.2 oz reel to balance the Carbon. It's quite noticeable.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:33 PM

tshirey is on a distinguished road

I didn't realize blanks were available from Echo or Redington...
Old 07-10-2013, 11:38 PM

I don't think they do. I was just using my rods as an example. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:25 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

In general I think people put too much emphasis on rod weight, especially for lower line weight rods. Much of that is just marketing gimmicks. The different between a 5wt and a 9wt rod is certainly noticeable over a long day, but the difference between a 2.0oz and a 2.3oz rod is almost certainly not noticeable.
imxer and petee like this.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:05 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
In general I think people put too much emphasis on rod weight, especially for lower line weight rods. Much of that is just marketing gimmicks. The different between a 5wt and a 9wt rod is certainly noticeable over a long day, but the difference between a 2.0oz and a 2.3oz rod is almost certainly not noticeable.
nick,

I have a Loomis IMX rod 8' X 3wt that weighs 1.76oz. Agree with your post but
still think it is possible to wear yourself out with this if you don't relax and let the rod do the work.

paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 07-12-2013, 07:02 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
nick,

I have a Loomis IMX rod 8' X 3wt that weighs 1.76oz. Agree with your post but
still think it is possible to wear yourself out with this if you don't relax and let the rod do the work.

paul
Agreed. Good casting form will always make casting easier and less tiring with any rod weight. A lot of people like to go right for different gear to solve problems when in reality much of it can be solved with current gear and improved form.

For instance, I see a lot of people on here wanting to buy rods 1-2 sizes heavier to throw bigger flies. Learning to haul and double haul correctly can effectively turn your rod +1 or +2 weights heavier in terms of casting power. If you are doing standard casts with a 5wt and want to get more distance, and don't want to spend a lot of money, the solution is to improve your casting, not buy a 6wt right off the bat.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:26 AM

I'm not sure I agree with either notion.

First, two rods with identical mass but different tapers will balance differently. Whether that is noticeable to the user depends on the user. But, as I mentioned, I have a heavier rod with a better taper which allows me to have lighter "swing weight" (moment of inertia) and use a lighter reel to balance. Effectively, the taper made for a lighter setup. It is certainly noticeable to me after three casting strokes let alone a day on the water.

Second, I agree that better casting fixes a lot of problems that are otherwise attempted to be solved by additional rods or equipment. However, the example about heavier flies may be true to an extent, but at some point the physics takes over and you are no longer able to cast the line, rather you are casting the heavier fly. No further casting improvement can change that. If the fly weighs more--or even the same as-- the fly line mass, you simply need a heavier line. For a 2wt example, the largest I seem to be able to consistently throw is a #12 weighted wooly bugger. Bigger than that, and the bug usually pulls the line.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:11 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

If your serious but being light weight and care less about aesthetics look at your reel seat. a size 16 graphite spinning seat will fit an 8wt blank and is way lighter than a fancy "fly" seat.