The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 12:09 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting the itch to build again

Well, we're all moved in and I'm back in NY. The garage is supposed to be my workshop but of course it's far from being setup yet and I was itching to build pretty bad so I've been working around the mess. Still can't find my threads so I've been turning grips to keep myself sane.

Some of the "essential" gear.
Click the image to open in full size.

Found a temporary corner for the sticks

Split grip for my new 7' baitcaster, going to be a white blank with blue wraps.

Gina's spinning rod is back on track

Grip is turned, she wants a split grip but I hate to cut this one up
fysh, caseywise and siege like this.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:00 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting the itch to build again

Gina was nice enough yo find my threads yesterday while I was at work (I think she wants her rod done lol). Stayed up a little past my bed time, but I got it done.

fysh, caseywise, williamhj and 1 others like this.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:39 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing grip and thread work. I'd think that would take a bit past bed-time
Old 07-13-2013, 08:47 AM

Thanks William, I was in bed by 2AM. Sitting at work now, paying for my late night
fysh and williamhj like this.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:50 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've had some late nights tying flies or wrapping rods. It has hurt but I've not regretted it
Old 07-13-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I've had some late nights tying flies or wrapping rods. It has hurt but I've not regretted it
She's super excited to fish the rod so it was worth it.
williamhj likes this.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:43 PM

Grips, reel seat, wrap and epoxy done. Now I have to find the guides. I have 5 boxes of rodbuilding material and I know they're going to be at the bottom of the last box I unpack

Old 07-14-2013, 08:34 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

It's always the last place you look
You do some beautiful work. Reminds me of some of the custom rods I admired so much as a kid. I worked in a bait and tackle shop in Miami, and we sold rods for a guy who did some amazing custom diamond wrap patterns. Thanks for bringing back a good memory of a good time and place.
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:03 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

That's very, very nice. You should be proud. I know your wife will be super-pleased!
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:16 AM

Thanks guys, she loves it so far but she's my toughest customer. She wants it done yesterday and since she feeds me I can't really argue with her lol.