The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rod Building (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/)
-   -   Blank most like Winston (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/326308-blank-most-like-winston.html)

barham 07-26-2013 05:31 PM

Blank most like Winston

I have gotten into rod building the last few years. I own several 5 and 6 weight rods including Sage Zaxis, SLT, Flight; Winston B2 & 3X, St Croix Legend. I have built 5 or 6 wt 9ft rods from Batson RX7 and PacBay Quickline blanks and am not satisfied. Although light and straight, they seem too stiff. Without buying a Winston B3X blank, is there a blank that resembles the Winston action. I have considered looking at the Mudhole MHX or Dan Craft Sig V.
Does anyone have any wisdom to share with me?
Thanks,
barham

mbchilton 07-26-2013 05:46 PM

Re: Blank most like Winston

Quote:

Originally Posted by barham (Post 576365)
I have gotten into rod building the last few years. I own several 5 and 6 weight rods including Sage Zaxis, SLT, Flight; Winston B2 & 3X, St Croix Legend. I have built 5 or 6 wt 9ft rods from Batson RX7 and PacBay Quickline blanks and am not satisfied. Although light and straight, they seem too stiff. Without buying a Winston B3X blank, is there a blank that resembles the Winston action. I have considered looking at the Mudhole MHX or Dan Craft Sig V.
Does anyone have any wisdom to share with me?
Thanks,
barham

Support the American craftsman at Winston. You'll be happier in the end.

williamhj 07-26-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbchilton (Post 576368)
Support the American craftsman at Winston. You'll be happier in the end.

Ah but the price. Winston blanks I've seen cost more than what I usually pay for a whole rod build (more than 2 or 3 times some rods).

brookfieldangler 07-26-2013 07:33 PM

I have an mhx 6wt and rather enjoy it. It's not exactly what I would call fast but not moderate either. It's right between a tip flex and mid flex I would say. I've landed some bigger fish on it including carp and drum over 10lbs.

It seems to be a rod that casts best when you let it do its own thing rather than trying to push it.

Not sure how it casts compared to a Winston but hopefully my description will point you in the right direction.

mbchilton 07-26-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamhj (Post 576382)
Ah but the price. Winston blanks I've seen cost more than what I usually pay for a whole rod build (more than 2 or 3 times some rods).

It doesn't always cost more to buy American (St. Croix), but it does cost more to buy the best.

biggie_robs 07-26-2013 09:22 PM

The Dan Craft is going to feel a lot more like a Winston than the MHX will. You might be better off trying out a fiberglass blank. Look into the SFRC black glass blanks for affordable, MIUSA, slow action blanks.

barham 07-27-2013 07:33 PM

Rob:
Which Dan Craft line are talking about as being similar to the B3x?
Thanks,
barham

biggie_robs 07-28-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barham (Post 576699)
Rob:
Which Dan Craft line are talking about as being similar to the B3x?
Thanks,
barham

I couldn't really say anything with regard to a B3x--I've only cast a Winston WT. I was just saying that between the two I'd expect the Dan Craft to be more like a Winston, i.e., slower than the MHX. I've built a 7wt MHX and it was pretty fast. I built a 1wt Dan Craft Sig IV and it is pretty slow.

brookfieldangler 07-28-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggie_robs (Post 576940)
I couldn't really say anything with regard to a B3x--I've only cast a Winston WT. I was just saying that between the two I'd expect the Dan Craft to be more like a Winston, i.e., slower than the MHX. I've built a 7wt MHX and it was pretty fast. I built a 1wt Dan Craft Sig IV and it is pretty slow.

Pretty fast? Sorta funny how 2 different people can get 2 different things out of the same thing. As I said previously, I wouldn't consider the mhx fast. Medium to medium fast at best with most of load almost hitting mid rod. There is a little bit of reserve there to ramp it up if needed but not much.

Now my batson rx8 is definitely fast

Edit: I should add that I highly prefer faster action rods

biggie_robs 07-28-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brookfieldangler (Post 576965)
Pretty fast? Sorta funny how 2 different people can get 2 different things out of the same thing. As I said previously, I wouldn't consider the mhx fast. Medium to medium fast at best with most of load almost hitting mid rod. There is a little bit of reserve there to ramp it up if needed but not much.

Now my batson rx8 is definitely fast

Edit: I should add that I highly prefer faster action rods

I'm not sure where we're getting two different things? Unless you're trying to say that the MHX blanks are slow?

Compared to a Winston, at least my Winston WT, the MHX is "pretty fast" and I'm not sure how anyone could argue that point.

In any case, my original point was that I think the Dan Craft Sig IV blank is going to be closer to a Winston action than the MHX.

As with so many things, YMMV.