The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 05:31 PM

barham will become famous soon enough
Default Blank most like Winston

I have gotten into rod building the last few years. I own several 5 and 6 weight rods including Sage Zaxis, SLT, Flight; Winston B2 & 3X, St Croix Legend. I have built 5 or 6 wt 9ft rods from Batson RX7 and PacBay Quickline blanks and am not satisfied. Although light and straight, they seem too stiff. Without buying a Winston B3X blank, is there a blank that resembles the Winston action. I have considered looking at the Mudhole MHX or Dan Craft Sig V.
Does anyone have any wisdom to share with me?
Thanks,
barham
Old 07-26-2013, 05:46 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Blank most like Winston

Quote:
Originally Posted by barham View Post
I have gotten into rod building the last few years. I own several 5 and 6 weight rods including Sage Zaxis, SLT, Flight; Winston B2 & 3X, St Croix Legend. I have built 5 or 6 wt 9ft rods from Batson RX7 and PacBay Quickline blanks and am not satisfied. Although light and straight, they seem too stiff. Without buying a Winston B3X blank, is there a blank that resembles the Winston action. I have considered looking at the Mudhole MHX or Dan Craft Sig V.
Does anyone have any wisdom to share with me?
Thanks,
barham
Support the American craftsman at Winston. You'll be happier in the end.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
Support the American craftsman at Winston. You'll be happier in the end.
Ah but the price. Winston blanks I've seen cost more than what I usually pay for a whole rod build (more than 2 or 3 times some rods).
Old 07-26-2013, 07:33 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I have an mhx 6wt and rather enjoy it. It's not exactly what I would call fast but not moderate either. It's right between a tip flex and mid flex I would say. I've landed some bigger fish on it including carp and drum over 10lbs.

It seems to be a rod that casts best when you let it do its own thing rather than trying to push it.

Not sure how it casts compared to a Winston but hopefully my description will point you in the right direction.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:44 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Ah but the price. Winston blanks I've seen cost more than what I usually pay for a whole rod build (more than 2 or 3 times some rods).
It doesn't always cost more to buy American (St. Croix), but it does cost more to buy the best.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:22 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

The Dan Craft is going to feel a lot more like a Winston than the MHX will. You might be better off trying out a fiberglass blank. Look into the SFRC black glass blanks for affordable, MIUSA, slow action blanks.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:33 PM

barham will become famous soon enough

Rob:
Which Dan Craft line are talking about as being similar to the B3x?
Thanks,
barham
Old 07-28-2013, 07:06 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by barham View Post
Rob:
Which Dan Craft line are talking about as being similar to the B3x?
Thanks,
barham
I couldn't really say anything with regard to a B3x--I've only cast a Winston WT. I was just saying that between the two I'd expect the Dan Craft to be more like a Winston, i.e., slower than the MHX. I've built a 7wt MHX and it was pretty fast. I built a 1wt Dan Craft Sig IV and it is pretty slow.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:53 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
I couldn't really say anything with regard to a B3x--I've only cast a Winston WT. I was just saying that between the two I'd expect the Dan Craft to be more like a Winston, i.e., slower than the MHX. I've built a 7wt MHX and it was pretty fast. I built a 1wt Dan Craft Sig IV and it is pretty slow.
Pretty fast? Sorta funny how 2 different people can get 2 different things out of the same thing. As I said previously, I wouldn't consider the mhx fast. Medium to medium fast at best with most of load almost hitting mid rod. There is a little bit of reserve there to ramp it up if needed but not much.

Now my batson rx8 is definitely fast

Edit: I should add that I highly prefer faster action rods
Old 07-28-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
Pretty fast? Sorta funny how 2 different people can get 2 different things out of the same thing. As I said previously, I wouldn't consider the mhx fast. Medium to medium fast at best with most of load almost hitting mid rod. There is a little bit of reserve there to ramp it up if needed but not much.

Now my batson rx8 is definitely fast

Edit: I should add that I highly prefer faster action rods
I'm not sure where we're getting two different things? Unless you're trying to say that the MHX blanks are slow?

Compared to a Winston, at least my Winston WT, the MHX is "pretty fast" and I'm not sure how anyone could argue that point.

In any case, my original point was that I think the Dan Craft Sig IV blank is going to be closer to a Winston action than the MHX.

As with so many things, YMMV.