The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rod Building (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/)
-   -   Websites for buying building materials (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/326334-websites-buying-building-materials.html)

nrp5087 07-26-2013 10:38 PM

Websites for buying building materials

I'm trying to decide if I want to get into building my own rods with my dad and was wondering where you guys buy all your stuff? I want to build a Spey Rod I was looking at the Baston Blanks but how do you know what all will fit the graphite as far as reel seat cork and so forth?

Thanks

williamhj 07-27-2013 12:53 AM

Re: Websites for buying building materials

Go to batson's site and under technical forum they have pdfs for suggested components for their blanks. You can buy all the stuff listed or use it as a guide for customizing the rod.

J stockard is a good site as is utmost enterprises (discount on batson stuff), others include acid rod, mudhole custom tackle, cabelas has some, bingham enterprises, golden witch and ye older English fly shop. Love getting reel seats from David Winslow rods and decals from Charlie at tight lines custom rods. Those are some places I like.

fredaevans 07-27-2013 05:58 AM

Angler's Workshop in Woodland, Washington. Been buying since the early 60's.

Rip Tide 07-27-2013 07:46 AM

I get the majority of my stuff from Hook & Hackle. They've been very good to me over the years.
Sometimes you can find some real bargains at Schnieder's Custom Rods .

nrp5087 07-27-2013 09:03 AM

Thanks fellas I appreciate the help

darwin 07-27-2013 09:11 AM

Hook & Hackle and the Mud Hole :secret:

tedp 07-27-2013 03:25 PM

If you are looking for Batson blanks or components, check out Utmost Enterprises. Excellent prices (and discounts), clearance and minimal waiting on out of stock items. I don't have any association with them but Carol will set you right.

nrp5087 07-27-2013 10:58 PM

I ordered the Baston 13' 7 Wt spey blank but Im not sure how to decide what size/ how many eyelets I need any suggestions?

williamhj 07-27-2013 11:33 PM

Did you check batsons technical forum? They have the info for bot rx6 and rx7 13' 7wt spey blanks. They include suggestions for all components including guide sizes and spacing.

swcr 08-26-2013 06:36 PM

Don't leave out Southwest Custom Rods for some fine Lemke reel seats