The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rod Building (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/)
-   -   Ferrule-tight issues (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/326575-ferrule-tight-issues.html)

king joe 07-29-2013 11:22 AM

Ferrule-tight issues

Hey guys
Working (slowly) on my first build (IM7 9' 5 wt.)...and was putting on my tip top last night. I was using ferrule-tight and after about 7 tries, I went to Gorrilla Glue instead and got it done.

My problem was....after the glue was dried, the tip would slide back off. I cleaned the surfaces, abraded slightly the blank, and basically any combination there-of. But, when i would slide the tip on, the excess glue would push forward....but the tip, would not stick. For such a seamingly easy task, i failed.

Interesting side note....I have used ferrule-tight literally 1000s of times for other applications (ran an archery shop)...and have never had an issue.

Any thoughts on this for my next one?

Regarding my use of Gorilla Glue. I have used this to replace tips and found it easy to use. It does have an issue in that it expands as it dries...especially in the first 15 or so minutes...meaning you have to be cogniscant of squeeze out. That said, clean up is with water so having a damp paper towel handy, you can take care of squeeze out quickly.

Any comments appreciated.

King Joe Outa Here!

fredaevans 07-29-2013 12:06 PM

Re: Ferrule-tight issues

Why not just a dab of Epoxy?

plecain 07-29-2013 12:43 PM

Gorilla Glue expands as it dries, as you've seen. It's not just squeeze-out. It's probably pushing the tip-top up.

I'd try something else - hot glue, epoxy, maybe.

king joe 07-29-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plecain (Post 577160)
Gorilla Glue expands as it dries, as you've seen. It's not just squeeze-out. It's probably pushing the tip-top up.

I'd try something else - hot glue, epoxy, maybe.

Yeah, that is what I mentioned (re: expands) so was vigilant that the glue didnt ooze out...AND push the tip off. For that, I was on task.

Ferrule tight is a hot glue.

Epoxy...I was looking at 'just in case' situations where I may need to replace the tip 'someday'...and its tough to remove epoxy and may need to cut off to replace.

Thanks for the response.

King Joe Outa Here!

plecain 07-29-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king joe (Post 577179)
Ferrule tight is a hot glue.

Sorry about that. I wasn't familiar with that brand name.

king joe 07-29-2013 07:55 PM

Absolutely no need to apologize plecain....I am the rookie builder here so fishing for information as I will be doing lots, i suspect....any comment from experienced folks, i will not turn down.

Again, thanks for responding.

King Joe Outa Here!

petee 07-30-2013 12:21 PM

Was it a brand new stick (never used before)? All I can think is it's a faulty stick, as in they messed up their batch mixture. I have never had a tiptop come off yet and I use a high temp glue stick on all my installations.

Either that or there was some contamination inside the tiptop that was finally cleaned off after all the installation attempts.

Just want to make sure I am on the same page: We are talking hot glue stick yes? Dried... as in cooled? If it has to dry, then we are talking two different animals and my comments will be off base. Well..... except of any contamination issues.

Pete

king joe 07-31-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petee (Post 577482)
Was it a brand new stick (never used before)? All I can think is it's a faulty stick, as in they messed up their batch mixture. I have never had a tiptop come off yet and I use a high temp glue stick on all my installations.

Either that or there was some contamination inside the tiptop that was finally cleaned off after all the installation attempts.

Just want to make sure I am on the same page: We are talking hot glue stick yes? Dried... as in cooled? If it has to dry, then we are talking two different animals and my comments will be off base. Well..... except of any contamination issues.

Pete

Hey Pete
No, it was an 'experienced' stick and yes, it was hot glue that dries when it is cooled...which is pretty quick (the drying/cooling time). Yea, I thought about that (contaminated tip) also and soaked it in rubbing alchohol a couple times. Regardless, couldn't make it work with the hot glue. Had a (another) close look at the tip, now affixed to the rod with Gorilla Glue, last night and even did some tugs. Its stuck and no squeeze out remnants from expansion (I cleaned up as it did while drying).

Related, I was reading in M. Clemens book, Advanced Fly Rod Building, that he 'used' to use hot glue/Ferrule-tite...but now uses 5 minute epoxies...which, coming full circle, is what some of the earlier responses said here.

again, thanks all for the responses.

King Joe Outa Here!

swirlchaser 08-03-2013 08:42 AM

The only problem with using epoxy is it does not come loose. I know that sounds like a good thing but it isn't always. If a tip takes a good bump with a hot glue type of application it will come loose, no big deal just reheat or reapply and your ready to fish. If it takes a good bump with epoxy the blank will break, rod will never be the same :( You will also never be able to replace the top if you need to.

Rip Tide 08-03-2013 12:57 PM

Many times (yes many :rolleyes:) I've busted just the ring off the tip-top.
With the tip-top cement/hot glue you can just pop off the damaged one, replace it, and you're good to go in minutes.
Epoxy needs a lot more heat to do this, so much so that you need to be very careful not to damage the blank.
I would think that the Gorilla Glue would be much the same