The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 11:41 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Epic Fiberglass build

Haven't finished a rod in a few weeks and felt the withdrawals from the build addiction starting to take hold. Thankfully I quelled the withdrawals by finishing up this rod. Got so hooked on the Epic glass, I haven't had the chance to even plane any Bamboo lately .

Blank: Epic Fiberglass 480 Nude, 4 wt. 3 piece
Seat Lemke up locking dark nickel
Guides: Snake brand universals dark nickel
Check & Tip top: Snake brand dark nickel
Seat insert: Maple burl
Handle: modified full wells
Wraps: Fish Hawk silk white with two turn light blue trim wraps. No color preserver to get the clear wraps.

Click the image to open in full size.

"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 08-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Epic Fiberglass build

that rod is a beauty....would love to be able to build such beautiful rods
Old 08-05-2013, 12:52 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

A very beautiful rod. Looks like one of those Kabuto blanks.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Pete
Another beautiful build, congrats on the most excellent craftsmanship!

Larry

Old 08-05-2013, 02:38 PM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

I love the look of this rod, your choice of dark nickle and the agate stripping guide matches the reel seat so well. I understand that the Epic blanks are made of "S" glass and are a little faster than Kabuto's "E" glass. I was a little reluctant to order a nude blank at first but placed an order with George (Tightloop) and have been waiting almost four months. Can't wait to try glass. It should be quite different from my Sages and Hardy rods. I like to hear how your Epic casts when you getting around to using it.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:53 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

troutnut4,

Personal opinion they cast like a dream. I am by no means a great caster, but I can hit where I aim with my Epics . As far as distance it casts as far as I demand.... which isn't to the backing. Accuracy and presentation is much more important to me than distance. But then again I fish mainly streams and medium sized rivers.

Pete
troutnut4 likes this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 08-05-2013, 02:59 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

That is a beautiful rod!! Awesome build! If it casts half as good as it looks your set!! Very nice!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-07-2013, 07:46 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

That is a really nice looking rod, I've really got to try a glass rod.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Bear?? Please be forewarned ... it's a slippery slope. You can't just build one glass rod. All other rods pale in comparison. Just so you know.

petee? whoa! beautious!!!!
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:25 AM

swcr is on a distinguished road

That is one sweet and classy rod