The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 11:19 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Epic's latest blank color

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Beauty, Pete!

I think I can see the rust silk, do you have single tipping turns on the end of each green wrap? Sweet touch...I'd love to see how you do that. I've done it once with a method I cannot easily describe. Basically made the single wrap, taped the tags down and then wrapped over with the main thread. Then pulled the single turn snug once secured. It worked, but not great. Especially hard near the tip.
They are actually two turn trim wraps. If I used the wrap over the tag end method, the rust would show under the guide wrap green. Silk is very unforgiving when it comes to showing all. If the guide feet aren't prepped well the file marks will even show through.

Just remember on overhand single turn trim wraps.... super glue is your friend. Just use it very very sparingly. If you can see it on your bodkin you have too much If you are going to use CP on the wraps, use a dab of CP instead of super glue to secure the knot..
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 08-13-2013, 12:06 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
They are actually two turn trim wraps. If I used the wrap over the tag end method, the rust would show under the guide wrap green. Silk is very unforgiving when it comes to showing all. If the guide feet aren't prepped well the file marks will even show through.

Just remember on overhand single turn trim wraps.... super glue is your friend. Just use it very very sparingly. If you can see it on your bodkin you have too much If you are going to use CP on the wraps, use a dab of CP instead of super glue to secure the knot..
I used a light gray for the trims and the tags clearly showed through the green nylon.

So do you tie and overhand knot and glue is in place? After the main wrap is complete?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:55 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

The overhand knot method is exactly what I use with silk. Yep, after the main wrap is complete.

With metallics, size "A" thread and bigger I will sometimes trim the tag end to length. I don't often use this method as I don't have the patience for it. Prefer the overhand knot myself.

Basically you glue one end of your trim down.

Trim of the tag end to where the thread is glued to the blank.

Wrap the trim around the blank, one time, and glue it in place.

Then it is a matter of trimming the remaining tag end flush with where the first end is glued down.

Clear as mud? I'll try and do up a tutorial if I can get the time. That would probably be better than my crummy directions.

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 08-13-2013, 02:26 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

That makes sense. But I love trim wrap tutorials, so if you really feel like making one or two, I won't stop you.

When you do the overhand knot, that would mean you have to trim both tags right?

This is what happened to my last rod, it's maybe a 5 turn band. I'd like to resolve that before next time.
Click the image to open in full size.

And sorry for hijacking your thread!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:06 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

petee,
If this is how you feel you are hogging the rod building section ... please don't stop!! What a joy to see your work!
Once more, a beautiful, beautiful build! Thank you.
Em
jaybo41 likes this.