The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 07:08 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Epic's latest blank color

Sorry, I seem to be hogging the Rod Building section. Received this blank last Thursday and finished it last night. Maybe a bit obsessive compulsive. Here is a look at one of Epic's latest colors. Yep, I have it and I built it. One of the first to be built. It is an amazing color. Very rich looking and easy to turn into what I think a traditional fiberglass rod looks like. Went with the usual top shelf components. It is however one of the first spalted inserts I have done. I think it is applewood, don't remember.

Blank: Epic 480 Olive
Seat hardware: Lemke up-locking Nickel Silver
Insert: Spalted Applewood
Stripper: Struble Amber Agate
Guides/ tiptop/ winding check: Snake brand
Wraps: Fish Hawk silk green and rust
Handle: Modified cigar

Click the image to open in full size.

"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16

Last edited by petee; 08-12-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:13 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Epic's latest blank color

I like everything about that rod - blank color, wraps, guides, insert, slim grip. Very nice. I need to take some pictures of a 7'9" 3wt I finished last month. Keep meaning to while out fishing, but don't want to stop fishing to take pictures
Old 08-12-2013, 08:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Building is something I have kicked around but have not yet delved into but I admire you guys that do it and your builds. This is an exceptional looking fly rod, just beautiful! You have great taste in components Pete!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 PM

jbennett is on a distinguished road

Mmmm...I clicked on that first picture on my iPhone and instead of opening photobucket or something like that t was trying to open teenspartyslut.com
That happen to anyone else?
Old 08-12-2013, 08:49 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

When I click on it from the computer, I go right to the picture. When I tried to enlarge from the iPhone, it looked like it wanted to load photo bucket but started to load that page you mentioned and I closed out fast! That's bizarre!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:20 PM

jbennett is on a distinguished road

Why all the photo bucket on this forum. I hate it. They make you watch ads and now linking to who knows what. Sketchy.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:24 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Epic's latest blank color

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Building is something I have kicked around but have not yet delved into but I admire you guys that do it and your builds. This is an exceptional looking fly rod, just beautiful! You have great taste in components Pete!
+1

Haven't built a rod in years, have had several done for me. That IS an exceptional piece of work.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:17 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

That is one beautiful rod.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

That rod....um, yeah, I want it.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:31 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Beauty, Pete!

I think I can see the rust silk, do you have single tipping turns on the end of each green wrap? Sweet touch...I'd love to see how you do that. I've done it once with a method I cannot easily describe. Basically made the single wrap, taped the tags down and then wrapped over with the main thread. Then pulled the single turn snug once secured. It worked, but not great. Especially hard near the tip.