The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fyshstykr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 09:40 PM

barham will become famous soon enough
Default masking off before covering a guide thread wrap

Is it wrong to mask off before applying the coating to a guide wrap? Some seem to disapprove of doing this, and as a newcomer to rod building, I have done it both ways and wonder which is best.
Thanks for someone's input.
barham
Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: masking off before covering a guide thread wrap

Some do, some don't, personal preference, depends on if you can confidently remove the tape while epoxy is still wet and not make a complete mess. I've tried it before but always seemed to have a bit of seepage under the tape.

My method for a clean edge is to use a bodkin(or something similar) and let it ride against the edge of the thread wrap while it gently pulls epoxy over the edge. If you look at different rods you'll notice some have a wider overlap and some narrower, just find what you like and work toward it.
Hardyreels likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
My method for a clean edge is to use a bodkin(or something similar) and let it ride against the edge of the thread wrap while it gently pulls epoxy over the edge.
Bingo!

That is how I learned when I finished with Spar Varnish and I still do it when using Flex Coat.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 PM

swcr is on a distinguished road

Anytime you have an overlap such as with the tape, there is always going to more then likely be a small void at the overlap, thus allowing the epoxy to seep under it and then magnified upon the tape removal.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:56 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by barham View Post
Is it wrong to mask off before applying the coating to a guide wrap?
Short answer.... no. Its custom rod building, there is no right or wrong way to do it. Find what works for you and enjoy

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 10-01-2013, 09:50 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

I don't do any of this. I just plant my elbow on a hard surface, stick the end of the brush at one spot a little further than the wraps, and let the rod coat itself as it turns.