Guide size help for a 2/3wt 12'0''

nick k

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm planning on building a 2/3wt 12'0'' but I'm not too knowledgable about guide sizes for spey, plus its hard to find info on a spey rod this low in weight. Can anyone give me an approximation of what might work well?

I was thinking maybe 12 and 10 strippers, a 6 or two, some 5s, 4s, and maybe some 3s (maybe 12,10,6,5,5,5,4,4,4,3,3,3). What do you think my bounds are here? What is too small for snakes and too large for strippers? (I assume some "large strippers" jokes will also tally up)

Last edited:

petee

Reaction score
Don't quote me on this as I am by no means a Spey/ Switch guru, but it seems to me that the old one guide per foot +1 doesn't hold true. The last 3 switch rods I have built have had fewer guides than the total rod length. I have been messing with 11' to 11'6 swtich rods and they have had 10 guides, including strippers.

They have also gone with about 4 to 5 of the same size guides on the end as in 3,3,3,3,3.

Sorry, I know I am no help

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Not sure if it would make a difference (other the odd placement) but is this a 3 or 4 piece blank. A few folks that I know of who make this kind of rod is Gary Anderson (ACR), La Cresse Custom Rods (hope I got the spelled correctly) 'almost' one other is Bob Meiser (Meiser Custom Rods).

I've a Meiser 3-4-5 (4 piece) and as a 3 at 280 grains it can almost reach the far side of the Bitterroot river. The 'LCC' is a true 2-3 three piece rod and the most delicate two hander I've ever cast. Not water cast the Anderson that I can recall.

There is one 'universal' when it comes to casting this type of rod.... just hold same in your finger tips. You can not force these rods, they will just not handle that kind of treatment.

nick k

Reaction score
Not sure if it would make a difference (other the odd placement) but is this a 3 or 4 piece blank. A few folks that I know of who make this kind of rod is Gary Anderson (ACR), La Cresse Custom Rods (hope I got the spelled correctly) 'almost' one other is Bob Meiser (Meiser Custom Rods).

I've a Meiser 3-4-5 (4 piece) and as a 3 at 280 grains it can almost reach the far side of the Bitterroot river. The 'LCC' is a true 2-3 three piece rod and the most delicate two hander I've ever cast. Not water cast the Anderson that I can recall.

There is one 'universal' when it comes to casting this type of rod.... just hold same in your finger tips. You can not force these rods, they will just not handle that kind of treatment.
The rod is a 4pc blank, made by Anglers Roost.

swcr

Reaction score
I would use 9 #1's, a #4, a #6, and a number 10 doublefoot stripper on that build. There is absolutely no reason to stairstep the guides, all it will do is add weight to the build, and it will not perform any better. I generally only use 3 different size guides on a build unless I add a tameing guide to it then it transmits to 4 sizes.

nick k

Reaction score
Steve Godshall (whos an awesome guy) actually sent me over this guide size and spacing chart today. He tested the rods for John at AR and also created the recommended grain window for them.

swcr

Reaction score
That will work just fine, but not at all necessary. Ask yourself why it has to has so many guide sizes, it for sure will not aid in the casting all they are for is just to hold the line, and the smoother the transistion the better the line retrieves instead of having to step up and up and up.
It is rod building and 10 different builders will have 10 different ways to do it. I do it that way because I have found with the many builds that I have done it has become the most efficient for me. I especially like the idea of the reduces weight on the upper 2 sections so as not the make the rod somewhat tip heavy also.

nick k

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I can get away with a regular reel seat on this rod or if I need a heavy duty double locking one. It is a 2/3wt after all, even though its Spey.

petee

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I can get away with a regular reel seat on this rod or if I need a heavy duty double locking one. It is a 2/3wt after all, even though its Spey.
Compromise ;), go with a Lemke .740". It has the double locking rings and isn't as big as his .812" hardware. Looks very proportional with the longer spey/ switch handles. Check with SWCR, he is the go to Lemke man and is more than helpful.

nick k

Reaction score
The problem is that I want to use the batson spey grips and they have a cutout of .895. I did find a nice looking seat on Anglers Roost though at .875 which should work with it.....I think.

swcr

Reaction score
All you have to do is dremel it out a small amount to fit the LC25, I have people do it all the time

nick k

Reaction score
All you have to do is dremel it out a small amount to fit the LC25, I have people do it all the time
I'm very particular about my reel seats. I took a look at the LCs but they just didn't do it for me.

I ordered the parts yesterday actually. I was originally going to go a little cheaper on the build, but figured I might as well deck it out since I'm very excited about this rod.

I went with:
Batson front and rear spey grip
Alps RA7 reel seat with woven graphite insert
REC guides (12,10,5,4,3,3,2,2,2,2) + REC large tip top