The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 01:19 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default What color wraps?

What color wraps would you use to match with this reel seat (and insert) and gloss black blanks?

I'm having a hard time trying to decide, especially since I need to order more thread to match it. Right now, I'm leaning towards a greyish-silver maybe, or maybe I should just go with black wraps. The guides are REC snakes and strippers so they are gunmetal as well I believe. Maybe some charcoal wraps?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:35 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: What color wraps?

I would try to come close to matching the insert.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:38 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I would try to come close to matching the insert.
Thats why I'm thinking something greyish-silver. Just dont know if anyones had personal experience with this color setup and found something they like.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:47 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

First off, I like that seat, do you have it in hand? How is it? I considered it for my last rod but in the end shied away from the insert.

Anyway, I built a TFO Pro for my brother a couple years ago, they are a matte black blank - which I love btw. I put silver reel seat hardware with a black woven insert, chrome guides and black thread with some metallic silver trim. All black and silver, I liked it - the Mad Max of fly rods if you will.

But that is the only black blank I've built on so I'm not experienced with colors on black. Silver trim will look great on your rod and tie the reel seat in. But I wouldn't try to wrap with metallic thread. What are you using for guides?

Old 09-13-2013, 01:54 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

That's a beauty of a rod!
Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 PM

That is a great looking rod. I like the silver trim, maybe I'll give that a shot. This will be my third rod so I may have to do some practice wraps first as I've never done a trim color.

I don't have the reel seat yet, as I ordered it yesterday, but I will let you know what I think in the end. The guides I'm using are all RECs. The rod is a 12'0'' 2/3wt spey so I've got 12 and 10 strippers, then 5,4,3,3,2,2,2,2,tip top.

I was originally gonna go with cheaper components and keep the price down, but I think I'm really gonna love this rod so I decided to deck it out with good components.

The grips are these Batson front and rear spey grips
Old 09-13-2013, 04:07 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Beautiful! I have a rod from DDan that has some hot pink on a black blank...looks kewl!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:47 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Thanks. That was my first foray into single turn inlay thread and I was pleased with the results. I'm sure I did each one quite a few times, it isn't necessarily hard just tricky. I'm sure you can pull it off if you've already made three rods. In fact, that was my fourth rod.

There are some really tutorials out there on trim wrapping and inlays because of course there is not just one method. I have downloaded them and could send them to you, PM me your email address if you like.

And I really like the REC guides. I used them on my last rod, they all uniform and need little to no prep and look cool. Do not file off the "paddle" shaped ends into points! They are necessary to hold the guide in place as they can flex so much. I only tapered the front edge of each foot.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:58 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

I would go probably with black wraps and pewter metallic trim wraps.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 09-13-2013, 07:02 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

It seems to me that for that reel seat and a gloss black blank, you have two options:

1) Pretend you're making a rod for a Raiders fan (similar to Dean_MT's rod) and go with some combo of black/charcoal and silver/gray.

or

2) Use your favorite color thread w/o CP (and possibly a silver trim).

Either way, it will turn out looking nice. Black blanks are hard to mess up, thread color-wise.
fredaevans likes this.