The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 08:36 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Re: Anglers Roost blank markings

This was the reply:

"I AM NOT GOING TO GO ON AND ON WITH THIS.

YOU WANT TO RE COLOR THE ROD THAT IS O.K. YOU USE SCRAPER OR SANDER REMOVING ANY THING THE WARRANTY IS VOID."

I like Anglers Roost prices and it seems like they have good products, but to be honest, every conversation I've had with them has been a disaster. They have always been very unprofessional in correspondence and usually unhelpful. I think the best way to describe their emails would be "spiteful."

I had emailed a while ago asking for some info on one of the rods. The owners didn't really answer my question, but he mentioned he could do a whole combo of the blank and components for a certain price. I emailed back, thanking him, but explaining that, while the parts sounded good, I was looking for a specific build and going to go a different way on other certain components. His reply...?

"Buy What You Want. Go to the Web Site."

Really?
Old 09-19-2013, 08:48 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

AyE!?!?!

Good luck with that one. Sounds like a good idea that was not thought out and the person who pushed the idea forward within the company had no clue what was going on in the real world where the blank would be used.

For me, after that 'conversation' with AR, my next two questions would be:
1. How do I go about getting this blank without the poorly thought out markings?
2. What do I do, package the thing up and ship it back and you credit my card when you receive it?

Have been looking at the AR bamboo blanks a lot recently, the more I read, the more hesitant I become about purchasing one.

Good luck with it.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:05 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I have heard stories about Angler's Roost being very defensive about their products before. It deterred me from buying from them in the past and it looks like I won't be buying from them in the future.

This is not the way to build a loyal customer base.
stl_geoff and petee like this.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:27 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
AyE!?!?!

Good luck with that one. Sounds like a good idea that was not thought out and the person who pushed the idea forward within the company had no clue what was going on in the real world where the blank would be used.

For me, after that 'conversation' with AR, my next two questions would be:
1. How do I go about getting this blank without the poorly thought out markings?
2. What do I do, package the thing up and ship it back and you credit my card when you receive it?

Have been looking at the AR bamboo blanks a lot recently, the more I read, the more hesitant I become about purchasing one.

Good luck with it.
I just asked if I can return the blanks and get them with no markings. I really don't want half a gold label to be sticking out of the thread wraps on every one of my guides.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Final reply:

"IHAVE NONE WITH NO MARKINGS. JUST SEND IT BACK FOR REFUND."

I think I'm going to keep it and try to get rid of the markings, as no other manufacturer makes these rod blanks (12'0'' 2/3wt).
Old 09-19-2013, 11:25 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

I would rather whittle a rod out of a 2 x 4 than deal with that. The fact that they are known, throughout the rod building community, for that type of attitude and are still in business baffles me.
dean_mt and mridenour like this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16

Last edited by petee; 09-19-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:46 AM

I just thought it was funny that he told me the warranty is void if I take the markings off.

If they are meant to be covered up, how would you know I removed them in order to void the warranty? If they are not meant to be covered up, then why the hell did you put them on there?
Old 09-19-2013, 06:38 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I had emailed a while ago asking for some info on one of the rods. The owners didn't really answer my question, but he mentioned he could do a whole combo of the blank and components for a certain price. I emailed back, thanking him, but explaining that, while the parts sounded good, I was looking for a specific build and going to go a different way on other certain components. His reply...?

"Buy What You Want."

Thanks for dropping some sage advice, Angler's Roost guy. I've been wondering what to do with my paychecks for years now.

Buy what I want. *Insert Marv Alberts YESSSSSS! here*

It's a crazy enough idea that it just might work.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:54 PM

After doing some more examining today, it looks like the lines don't even match up correctly with the actual spine. It appears that they are also not guide placement, and that they would serve a better purpose lining the sections together when connecting the finished rod (except that they wouldn't match well because they aren't on the spine).

I've determined that they would throw off the whole look of the rod, and would likely protrude from under some of the wraps.

I'm going to return the blanks.
dean_mt and mridenour like this.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:35 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

This is an eye opening thread. I've looked at their site but never purchased from them. Now I think I'll just delete the bookmark from my "rod building" folder. No thanks. The replies they sent you are just ridiculous in how rude they are.

Send it back and search eBay for "fly rod blanks, Roger" - Rodger is the seller, I got an 11' 3/4 at from him for pretty cheap, like $35 or something. After researching my best guess was that it is the blank that AR sells, based on size and color.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:43 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
This is an eye opening thread. I've looked at their site but never purchased from them. Now I think I'll just delete the bookmark from my "rod building" folder. No thanks. The replies they sent you are just ridiculous in how rude they are.

Send it back and search eBay for "fly rod blanks, Roger" - Rodger is the seller, I got an 11' 3/4 at from him for pretty cheap, like $35 or something. After researching my best guess was that it is the blank that AR sells, based on size and color.
I'm right there with you. I've been thiiiiissss close to ordering from them, but never pulled the trigger. Never will after this...