The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 12:33 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anglers Roost blank markings

So I just received my 12'0'' 2/3wt blanks from Anglers Roost yesterday, and was surprised to find markings on each of the blanks. The markings are gold and say the rod length and line wt, and then have a small straight line afterwards. I expected that these were to designate the spine, and were meant to be scratched off during the build, but I contacted AR to be sure.

They told me that the marks do indeed mark the spine, as well as the guide placement spots. They also told me, however, that the marks were meant to stay on. The marks are actually fairly long, since it says the model and line weight, and I'm worried that the thread wraps will not cover them up entirely.

I gave one a quick scratch and part of it flaked off, so I may be able to remove them, I just don't know if they are entirely on top of the finish or what.

Anyone have experience with these types of marks? Also, do the lines go to the tip of the rear guide foot, tip to butt, or to the middle of the guide, etc.?
Old 09-18-2013, 02:43 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anglers Roost blank markings

Not meaning any dis-respect to Angler's Roost, but that is just a stupid thing to do to a blank. What if a guy wants to do a static guide placement? Duh! Plus what if a you want to build on the straightest axis or as some folks do... 180 degrees of the spine? Again Duh!!!

Hopefully you can get it all scratched off. You might try a little denatured (or equivalent) alcohol, but I wouldn't use anything harsher. Fingernail or the edge of a credit card would probably be as hard a material I would use when scraping.

As far as I know the vast majority of manufacturers align the guides from the tiptop to the middle of the guide. Sage is different, I believe they go from the tiptop to end of the guide's back foot.
nick k likes this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 09-18-2013, 02:59 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
Not meaning any dis-respect to Angler's Roost, but that is just a stupid thing to do to a blank. What if a guy wants to do a static guide placement? Duh! Plus what if a you want to build on the straightest axis or as some folks do... 180 degrees of the spine? Again Duh!!!

Hopefully you can get it all scratched off. You might try a little denatured (or equivalent) alcohol, but I wouldn't use anything harsher. Fingernail or the edge of a credit card would probably be as hard a material I would use when scraping.

As far as I know the vast majority of manufacturers align the guides from the tiptop to the middle of the guide. Sage is different, I believe they go from the tiptop to end of the guide's back foot.

Yeah. I was a little upset when I saw the markings on there. Hopefully I can get them off pretty easy. They also didn't even seem to line up with the spine all that well.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:40 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

If it isn't too much trouble I'd love to see a picture. I've done one AR graphite rod and it didn't have that line, but it was awhile ago. It did have the rod info on it, which I found annoying since it limited me on grip length, wrap placement etc. If they want to mark the spine, mark it at the female ferrule where the mark will be covered by a wrap. If I'm understanding you right, the line sounds crazy.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
If it isn't too much trouble I'd love to see a picture. I've done one AR graphite rod and it didn't have that line, but it was awhile ago. It did have the rod info on it, which I found annoying since it limited me on grip length, wrap placement etc. If they want to mark the spine, mark it at the female ferrule where the mark will be covered by a wrap. If I'm understanding you right, the line sounds crazy.
I'll take some pictures when I get home from work. The line itself is pretty short (only about 0.5''), but it says something like "AR 12'0'' 2/3wt" in gold letters before it which does take up quite a bit of space, longer then the wraps would probably go.

A friend of mine suggested toothpaste to help take off the markings. Does anyone think this might be too abrasive?

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Here are the markings:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:13 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting it. Seems like odd placement, one looks like it is right above a ferrule and the other near the top of a section?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:31 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

That is really kind of strange. Why put the designation all over the blank?

Try rubbing it with alcohol, I have removed the labels on sage rods, to write my own. If that is under a finish I would shocked.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Weird. I'm looking forward to hearing what someone who knows about this has to say...
Old 09-19-2013, 06:57 AM

I asked the Anglers Roost guys how best to remove them, and this was their reply:

"FOR WHAT REASON DO YOU WANT TO REMOVE THEM. IT WILL VOID ANY WARRANTEE. THEY ARE PUT THERE FOR A PURPOSE."

My reply to that, was this:

"If I want to use a different guide placement, use clear wraps, or use short wraps, the gold lettering will be exposed. To be honest, I have asked some other friends if they have ever received permanent markings on the rod like this, and they all had not and thought it was a bad idea.

The long Anglers Roost name on the butt blank will be covered up by my spey grips, but if I was using a single hand build, I would be forced to limit my grip length and hook keeper location based on its location.

I appreciate where you guys are coming from with the markings, but they are more often than not a hindrance rather than an aid.

If they are meant to be covered up by the thread wraps, then how would you tell if they were there to void the warranty? If they are not meant to be covered, or meant to be partially covered, than that is just absurd and ruins the whole look of the rod."
Old 09-19-2013, 08:25 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Good letter. Let us know when they reply.