The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 03:46 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default What types of guides do you use?

There's a lot of different types of guides out there (makes, colors, materials), so I'd love to know what everyone generally uses.

Standard Single Foot
Fancy Single Foot
Standard Snakes
Ultralight Snakes
REC Recoil
TiC
Chrome
Black
Gold
Hialoy
SIC

I'd also love to know what you think about the different types. Ex.:

Are REC guides worth it?
Are Ultralight materials too flimsy (prone to breaks/bends)?
Are the more expensive materials worth it?
Old 09-23-2013, 04:59 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all
Default Re: What types of guides do you use?

My favorite combination is a Mildrum dark nickle medium amber agate stripping guide followed by Pacific Bay Titanium dark guides and tip. I just received a custom Kabuto nude 764-3 glass rod and had matching hardware for the reel. I think it's worth the extra cost. Builder is George Minculete of Tightloop in Romania. He prefers Pac Bay over Snake Brand for their durability.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:04 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer snake style guides to single foot and find snake brand guides are worth the extra money since they really require no foot prep to wrap. I use chrome and bronze and the black nickel which are nice and subtle.
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:37 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I've used standard snake guides on the first 4 rods I built. For the last one I went with the REC snakes. They are certainly nice guides, perfectly uniform and need little to no prep. The feet are sort of paddle shaped, if that makes sense, they are wider at the ends and are round. I know it sounds weird and completely contrary to what builders have been doing forever, filing the feet into little points, but the REC feet are very thin, so the thread transition from blank to foot is easy. The wide feet are necessary to keep the guide in place as they can flex enough that a foot could slip out of a wrap (seems like it would take quite a bit for that to happen), the "paddle" locks it in place. I read a user post on a forum that said he filed them into points and this is what happened. I also used the standard not the light wire. Dan at Dan Craft said the light wire is where he sees the most slip. Plus the standard are lighter than a light wire snake guide form anyone else. Yeah they are expensive but I just wanted to try them. I'm glad I did, I like them and will probably use them again. Next build I am going with Snake Brand Universals, same price as REC I believe but I want to try them out as well.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:46 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Snake Brand Universals. Either Chrome or Dark Nickel. But, I go after the tradition look and single foot just don't do it for me. The Universal's feet are bent to fit the radius of the blank. Yes, they are pricey, but as with a lot of components, you get what you pay for.

Strippers... usually Struble or Joe Arguello's (sp?) agates. Both have the best foot prep in the agate business.
kayo likes this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16

Last edited by petee; 09-24-2013 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Spelling.... typical
Old 09-23-2013, 07:54 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Stripping guides vary for me (I tend towards Fuji or REC or agate), but as far as running guides go...

For light and ultralight rods, I like REC Recoil single foots.

For moderate to heavy rods I like REC Recoil snakes or Snake Brand Universal snakes. If it's a fancy, super high tech, lightweight, graphite blank I go with the recoils. Otherwise, the Snake Brand guides.

For Bamboo, I like Snake Brand snakes.

For saltwater, I like REC recoils. They will never corrode.

I know you didn't ask, but I always use REC recoil tiptops. The less weight at the end of the lever, the better. Plus, I think that the tiptop being flexible will probably make breaking the tip a tad less likely.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:50 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Nothing but Snake Guides
Old 09-24-2013, 09:49 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
Nothing but Snake Guides

Yup, same here. Had a chance to talk with the owner when FFF was in Spokane. Bought all the hardware I could from him for my last build and it was worth every penny, and the advice over the phone was great. I will do the same thing on my next build.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:43 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Looks like Snake Brand are pretty popular here. What makes them better than your average snake guides?
Old 09-24-2013, 01:47 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

I started building Bamboo fly rods about a year ago and I use standard Snake Brand guides except for the striping guides. I purchase Agatine stripping guides from Struble.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !