The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 08:15 PM

dvbrwn56 is on a distinguished road
Default Issue with Perma Gloss

I have been using Perma Gloss urethane for a bunch of years 15 - 20 builds, and I have just for the first time ever had a problem, and I have no idea what the cause is, but...I have a fresh bottle, just opened last week, and have noticed that the last couple of wraps have started to get what looks like gas bubbles in the coating. When the material sets up it leave me with pock marks over anything that has been coated. I have not seen this before. Anyone have any ideas?

Dave
Old 09-24-2013, 06:59 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Issue with Perma Gloss

May not be the perma gloss. Might be the thread or applicator. Different thread? Many of the embroidery (sp?) threads have silicone on them. Or maybe you applicator had something on it. Sounds like you have fish eye on the finish. Usually happens when there a grease, oil or silicone contaminant snuck into the process somewhere. Even moisture will do it. I had some low budget alcohol that apparently had a fairly high water content. Messed with my finishes and mind until I figured it out.

Sand it, wipe it down with alcohol and give her another shot. Hopefully you'll be good to go.

Just my $.02,
Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 09-24-2013, 07:08 AM

dvbrwn56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Issue with Perma Gloss

Thanks,

As I look at the area affected now it seems that it may be thread or color lock (U-40) problem. There was deffinitely a chemical reaction with at a specific location on the rod. . I will be able to do some more research tonight an provide results.

Dave