The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 04:21 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Jumping in

Well, I finished it, and used it.

First, I looked at the package the blank came it. It's a 3 wt, not a 2 wt. My fault. My CCS measurement puts it at 3.57.

It has a couple of cosmetic mistakes. The guide wraps aren't exactly equal. I should have measured them more closely before I epoxied them. Also, there are a couple of tiny lumps where the cut ends of threads stick up. All in all, not bad for a first build. I put exactly zero decoration (trim bands, anything else) on it, and I like that look. No CP on the thread, so it looks like a darker version of the green blank.

I like the rod. A lot.

I first used it on my beaver pond for bluegills and bass. It will throw a WF3F line a long way.

Yesterday I used it on really small trout streams and one medium stream. Other than the problem of hacking through the brush with a 10' rod, I was very happy with it.

I have another identical blank. I'll probably put a bit more decoration on this one, just to get some practice at that.
dean_mt, williamhj and mridenour like this.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:52 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

If your first rod did not have a couple imperfections then...well you'd be special!

Are you going to show us some pictures? Even "plain" rods i.e. no bling or decorative wraps deserve to be seen.

I can't wait to get my next project started ... in a few months.
williamhj and mridenour like this.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:45 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on the pictures! If your 5th rod doesn't have some 'imperfections' it would be amazing . Congrats on finishing it! Nothing like fishing with a rod you built.
dean_mt and mridenour like this.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:41 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
Well, I finished it, and used it.

First, I looked at the package the blank came it. It's a 3 wt, not a 2 wt. My fault. My CCS measurement puts it at 3.57.

It has a couple of cosmetic mistakes. The guide wraps aren't exactly equal. I should have measured them more closely before I epoxied them. Also, there are a couple of tiny lumps where the cut ends of threads stick up. All in all, not bad for a first build. I put exactly zero decoration (trim bands, anything else) on it, and I like that look. No CP on the thread, so it looks like a darker version of the green blank.

I like the rod. A lot.

I first used it on my beaver pond for bluegills and bass. It will throw a WF3F line a long way.

Yesterday I used it on really small trout streams and one medium stream. Other than the problem of hacking through the brush with a 10' rod, I was very happy with it.

I have another identical blank. I'll probably put a bit more decoration on this one, just to get some practice at that.
Congratulations on fishing your first rod! When you build your next rod, please don't shy away from single foot guides--especially on a lightweight rod like a 3wt. I don't find them more difficult; in fact, I find them twice as easy because there is only one foot to wrap. Moreover, with the lesser weight resulting from less mass on the guides and the wraps and the finish, you'll have a more responsive rod!

In any case, enjoy building your next fly rod!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:10 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Shoot, if you ever build the perfect rod, walk away from building forever as you have reached rod building nirvana. The perfect rod has yet to be built. Any builder can always find something they could have done better.... at least in their eyes.

No other rod will ever fish like your first build.
dean_mt and mridenour like this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 10-16-2013, 06:24 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Jumping in - pictures

Here are a couple of photos of the finished rod.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I put the hook keeper up where it is to keep it away from my fingers when I'm carrying the rod.

You can see some of the mismatched thread lengths on some of the guide wraps.

On the plus side, the guide alignment is nearly perfect over the 10' length. There are no voids by the guide legs. Epoxy fills all of them.

I may have been stingy on the epoxy. That's because when I've molded race car parts, keeping the epoxy (weight) to a minimum is a prime consideration. I just followed that practice.

This was fun and a good learning experience.

On to the next one (same length and weight; different color). I'm still considering a carbon fiber handle.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:16 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Great job. If the guides line up perfectly over 10' then you've done very well. I've found that to be one of the harder details to perfect. I like how you bumped the hook keeper up to make it your custom rod, that's why we do it!

What did you finally decide to go with for epoxy? Just curious, it looks good.
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
What did you finally decide to go with for epoxy?
Mudhole's ProKote, full strength. I like it. There are no bubbles at all.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
Mudhole's ProKote, full strength. I like it. There are no bubbles at all.
How long was the pot life? One of the reasons I tried TM Lite was for the advertised long pot life. I go kind of slow I guess and could only do half a rod with one batch of standard Flex Cement.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
How long was the pot life? One of the reasons I tried TM Lite was for the advertised long pot life. I go kind of slow I guess and could only do half a rod with one batch of standard Flex Cement.
Pretty long. I'd say 5-6 hours at 68.

The first batch I mixed didn't have enough hardener. It took about 20 hours to dry. The next batch was better.