The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 01:26 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default OK. Another question - writing on the blank

I have the silver and gold Pilot pens.

How do I write on the rod blank? The blank is very shiny and doesn't take ink hardly at all. I want to write the rod specs on it.

Do I sand it slightly and then cover the whole area with epoxy?

Has anyone used water-slide decals that you write on? You can buy blank ones.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:05 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jumping in

I've tried writing on blanks and have a terrible time. However my handwriting in general is terrible. If you decide to go the decal route I order from Charlie at Tightlines Custom Rods. He has a number of color options and TONS of fonts available. Very helpful and fast shipping.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:44 PM

outlaw45 is on a distinguished road

nice job. I like plain wraps. it's a workin rod not a show one. next rod go with the carbon handle and single foot guides, you'll like it.
Outlaw
Old 10-17-2013, 09:06 PM

tedp is on a distinguished road

I've had decent luck with opaque fine tipped paint markers. The paint is generally free flowing enough to work on a gloss blank.

Waterside decals are good but generally inkjet printing is not as bold as I would like. If you want light colored lettering on a dark background, you'd need to use the white waterside paper as home printers don't print white. Just make the background the dark color and the text light.

I've worked with decal connection for white on clear peel and stick labels and they came out very nicely.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:12 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Writing on a blank is definitely tricky. I've always done it and never used decals (yet).

First, you'll want a traditional dip pen with a fine nib. These can be found at craft stores, they are inexpensive and you can get different nibs to use in the pen body. This is just an example of what I mean, basically they are pens that you dip into ink and write or draw with.
Click the image to open in full size.

With those metallic pens, are they the kind you push down and the tip goes up and then fills with paint? If so, push it into a sheet of paper and make a little puddle of paint then dip/touch the pen nib into the puddle to fill it and practice writing. Those nibs are really pretty cool, they will hold a decent amount of ink but only let a fine line if you keep it moving. Practice on paper. Then move to a blank. It's obviously good if you have an old blank to practice on or the end section that you'll be covering with the grip, but if you don't you can still practice right on any rod. The ink or paint will wipe off with some denatured alcohol.

Taking the gloss off the blank will help a bit. Use a scotch brite pad to just buff off the gloss finish. You will have to cover the writing with epoxy no matter or it will just chip away rather quickly.

On my last rod I used a Sharpie paint pen with an extra fine tip. It still isn't as fine a line as you can get with a nib pen, but a little easier. I wanted white and the Sharpie was the best option. They do come in gold and silver and other colors as well.
Click the image to open in full size.

It's a challenging project, writing very small and fine on a smooth round surface and getting every letter just how you want it. But I do it because it's another finishing touch of a custom rod and I like to put the year with my initial somewhere inconspicuous but so I will remember when I built the rod.

Good luck!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:52 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
First, you'll want a traditional dip pen with a fine nib.
OK, now I'm going to date myself.

That's the type of pen, complete with inkwell in the desk, that I learned to write with in the first grade (1952).

That's the ONLY pen you could use. No ball-points allowed.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:11 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
OK, now I'm going to date myself.

That's the type of pen, complete with inkwell in the desk, that I learned to write with in the first grade (1952).

That's the ONLY pen you could use. No ball-points allowed.
Then you don't need as much practice...just maybe a refresher.