The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 05:04 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Need help finding a reel seat

Anyone know where I can find a reel seat and hardware for a wide footed, old skeleton reel?

I don't want to file down the reel feet and/or contort them to fit a modern reel seat.

Thanks much.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:09 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of
Default Re: Need help finding a reel seat

You might have to go with a Seat made for Spinning Rods which all The Hardware manufactures make also if you post The sizes someone here might be able to help.
Brian.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:11 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

You might try asking this guy if he can make you one to your specs:

Reel seats Other, Reel seats Maple items in RL Reel Seats store on eBay!
Old 09-30-2013, 06:55 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Look up Rick's Rods here in Denver, I know he sells wrapping thread that is tough to find and he might do the same with reel seats. Might contact Dave Winslow too. I'm not sure if he could turn one for you but he's very helpful and I've gotten great seats from him.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:30 PM

swcr is on a distinguished road

How wide is the foot on reel you are talking about, also how high is it off the side flats to the peak?
Old 09-30-2013, 08:07 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the replies.

Not sure which reel I will end up using, sort of depends on what I find for a rod, and I am looking for something weird. Hoping to be bale to find some no-name, unlabled bamboo broken pieces and put togeather a 5' - 6' 5-weight or so. Should be a horror show for a traditional fore/aft cast.

Anyhow,
Reel 1:
Foot Length: 62.5 mm (2 7/16 -ish)
Foot Width: 14.75 mm (5/8 -ish)
Rise: 3.25 mm (1/8 -ish)

Reel 2:
Foot Length: 63.5 mm (2 1/2 -ish)
Foot Width: 13.00 mm (1/2 -ish)
Rise: 3.00 mm (1/8 -ish)
Old 09-30-2013, 10:47 PM

swcr is on a distinguished road

None of my skeletons will spec out like that. You may have to end up going to a double slide band style seat on that.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:45 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

I'm with Ron on this one. A double sliding band with a mortised insert may fit your bill. It would be a fairly easy machining job, especially if you went with aluminum. You could go with an older double band seat off an old spinning rod set up and no mortise. But, it might make for a larger diameter seat than you would like for the rod.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 10-01-2013, 10:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

"Harvest" a reel seat off another rod.
Old South Bend glass rods were **** but had beautiful nickle silver reel seats. Ripe for the harvest
I'm sure that you could find something like that to your liking if you're patient.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:44 PM

RipTide,

Copy/paste is a very good thing. I have a text doc I am using to avoid re-re-redundantly re-typing.

There are a lot of really cool bits&pieces in the scratch and dent sections of auction sites.