The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By petee
  • 1 Post By random user

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 06:14 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default WHAT!?!?! Make Your Own Agate Stripper Guides ???

Found this on the web when I couldn't sleep.

I think this fall into the same category as "I'll save a lot of money tying my own flies."

http://www.ryanrodco.com/articles/AgateGuides.pdf
Old 10-01-2013, 06:35 AM

petee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to all
Default Re: WHAT!?!?! Make Your Own Agate Stripper Guides ???

BEWARE!!! IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU WITHOUT YOU EVEN KNOWING YOU HAVE REACHED THE SLIPPERY SLOPE OF THE ROD BUILDING ADDICTION!!!!

It may start out under the false assumption that you can save money and then it becomes a Rodsmith addiction thing . There are a couple of common categories of builders as folks fall deeper into the rod building addiction.

Rod assemblers: Buy everything off the shelf and assemble the rod. 99% of us started there.

Rodsmiths: Make every single component that goes on the rod. The Italian bamboo builders are amazing at making every single component

Happy medium: Make some components, but don't become super anal about the entire process. Probably 90% of semi-serious builders end up in this category.

Personally I am in the "Happy medium" category. Machine my own sliding band reel seat hardware, all my reel seat inserts, handles, majority of winding checks and all my bamboo blanks. Have the tooling to make my own snakes, ferrules and threaded seat hardware. Just too chicken/ lazy to go all the way to the dark side. But, in all honesty, I have contemplated trying my hand at Agate strippers.

We can save money by tying flies and building our own rods?? Ha, who are we kidding?
mridenour likes this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
We can save money by tying flies and building our own rods?? Ha, who are we kidding?
Shhhh... I'm still swimming in Egypt... in Da Nile

(I was cooked BEFORE I got here... see signature)
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:46 AM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

Could never do this, but I do love that one of the necessary tools is called "Griffith nickel pickle."