The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dean_mt
  • 2 Post By petee
  • 1 Post By petee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 08:37 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Lite or high build finish?

What do you guys mainly use, and why?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:37 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Lite or high build finish?

I've used both standard Flex Coat and Lite FC and on my last rod I tried Threadmaster Lite. I definitely prefer Lite no matter, and I think I like the Threadmaster more than FC.

I prefer Lite because I'm not good enough to get a perfect finish with one coat (OK, I can't get a "perfect" finish ever) and generally do not mind the added time of doing multiple coats. I've found that for me, it is easier to get the finish possible by layer multiple coats.

If you get fuzz or dust in the first coat, you missed a frayed thread wisp and it appears only after the epoxy is on, you get a bubble, etc. any of these problems are not big issues if you planned on at least two coats from the start. It's easy to shave the thread wisp and buff out the bubble after the first coat is hard and the second coat will make it disappear. It's also a lot easier to get nice lines at the edges of your thread wrap and feet of guides with a second coat. For me, it's not unlike painting a room in your house - the first coat covers and gets the cut lines close, the second coat covers any skips and imperfections and makes it 100x easier to get the perfect cut line as you have a reference point with the edge of the first coat.
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:05 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

I have used Flex Coat regular and high build, Threadmaster regular and lite plus a couple of other brands. Basically whatever is available when and where I order from. They all have worked fine for me. If the out of the bottle mix is too thick, for my liking, I will just thin it with denatured alcohol. Takes longer to set up, but it also gives it a longer pot life.

Do lean toward thin finishes whether they are thin straight out of the bottle or I thin them. I am a 2 coat at a minimum builder, mainly because I don't like football shaped guides and would rather apply thin coats as opposed to 1 thick coat to keep my finish low profile.

Ask 10 builders which finish they like and you'll probably get 15 different answers. We never agree on anything, to do with rod building,.... except it is an addiction .

Pete
fyshstykr and dean_mt like this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 10-03-2013, 09:57 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Pete, I think you're wrong about that. :-)
Old 10-04-2013, 02:05 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Pete, I think you're wrong about that. :-)
I rest my case your honor.
dean_mt likes this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 10-04-2013, 05:37 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I've always used FlexCoat Lite and never really needed anything else, until I stripped the old Garcia Conolon glass rod I learned to cast with. I wanted to add some UV protection and gloss it up, so I got some Permagloss. That stuff is thin!

I used a few coats of it on the wraps of another graphite rod I had already wrapped, let it sit for a day, and then topped the wraps off with one coat of FCLite. It turned out real nice, so I'm thinking of doing this on future rods.