The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By petee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 12:43 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Regular or Large Loop Tip Tops?

What line weights do you use each for, or do you always use one over the other?
Old 10-07-2013, 04:42 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Regular or Large Loop Tip Tops?

I don't really have a set cut off as to then or where I use large loop. Do have a couple of personal "Rules of Thumb"

* Spey/Switch = large. Due to larger line and connection diameters.
* Icy conditions = large.
* Bamboo and Glass = regular. That one is just all about my personal opinion on aesthetics. Just due to my desire to build a more traditional looking rod.
* Other situations = Customer's request. Many times, on customer rods, how the rod looks is more important than what the builder thinks is functional.

On big rods large loop don't look as out of proportion, to me, so they aren't an issue to slap on a build. If there is a possibility of line connections hanging up in the tip top, no matter the rod size, large loop ought to be considered.
baseman1 likes this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 10-07-2013, 06:57 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

me ?
I do large whenever possible
That's the last place where you'd want a knot or tangle to get stuck.
That can ruin your day
When ever such an "issue" makes it through the tip-top with-out hanging up, it's landed fish rather than a lost fish,
Not hard to picture.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:47 AM

swcr is on a distinguished road

I do exactly the same as Petee does, unless the customer requests otherwise.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:52 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Are there any disadvantages to using a large tip top?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:18 AM

vgb is on a distinguished road

I have 7'9" #3 rain forest where the big loop noticeably slowed down the tip recovery.

regards

Vince
Old 10-10-2013, 03:58 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I like The Large Tips on The Larger & Longer Rods #5 8ft 6" + & up however I've never tried them on The Smaller ones as I don't use them all that much & haven't any need to change them.

Most of you will notice I've just Changed my Avatar which was A Pic of The Old Outstation on my Mates Property which he has just lately sold because our other mate & his Business Partner Tragically died from an accident on a Quad Bike a couple of years ago.
It's a picture of A Hydrofoil Turning around in front of The Opera House on Sydney Harbour which I took a few years ago.
Also if I get sick of this one I'll again change it .

Brian.