The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By petee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 07:53 AM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough
Default What grade cork is too low for you?

I'm wondering what people generally use for cork. People use a lot of different names (A, AAA, Super, Premium, Flor), so we don't we just stick to price ranges. How much do you generally pay for your single hand grips?
Old 10-08-2013, 02:45 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all
Default Re: What grade cork is too low for you?

A super fine ½” thick cork ring will run $2.50 each a super fine X will run about $4.00 each.

You can do the math, good cork is very costly.

Rick
Old 10-08-2013, 03:42 PM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

But to what extent do you think good cork is worth it? Would you be content with a $15 cork grip, or would you put in the extra cash for a $25?

Do you only use expensive cork on higher end builds, or do you always invest in good cork, even with cheaper other components?
Old 10-08-2013, 05:29 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I've found if you shop around there are a few places you can buy Quality Grips or if you want to make your own,good quality Cork Rings at The right prices well under what's been quoted.
I've imported Rings from The US & Europe
Brian.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:42 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I get cork rated 'flor' grade. I know this can be a moving target and I don't stress too much about perfect rings (don't ever use cork filler) but I like good cork. I've found a place that has consistently good cork, I pay about $1.30/ring when I buy 50 rings in a pop.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:37 AM

attila will become famous soon enough

Cork is what connects me to the rod and only the best I can find will do.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:28 PM

petee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to all

If it needs filler its crummy cork. Some voids are cool as they add character, but those handles with excessive voids will wear out faster than tight cork. And if it has filler in the voids the filler will eventually fall out and you are back to excessive voids and the whole wearing out thing. Handles take more wear than any other component on a rod. My buddy's salt water rod's cork looks like rats have chewed on it. His factory rod's handle had filler and big voids. My salt water rod's handle, with top shelf cork, still looks good. Just sayin.

nick k,
Personally I always use top quality cork. I am a custom rod builder and reputation is everything in custom rods. I can't afford to go with sub-par cork. But, I also use top shelf components on my Bamboo and Fiberglass customs and that includes my cork rings. Even on a graphite custom built on an RX6 / IM6, not bad blanks just less expensive than others, I use good cork. If you go with a pre-made handle research it first, Just because its $25 doesn't make it better. They may use filler so the handle will look good but.... Suggestion: always get the best cork your budget allows for.

With cork, you get what you pay for. Personal opinion.

Pete
littledavid123 and williamhj like this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16

Last edited by petee; 12-08-2013 at 12:45 PM.