The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 11:09 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all
Default After all the discussion ....

Do I even dare ask if anyone has built from one of Angler's Roost bamboo blanks? Cruisin' the internet this morning, and came across them. Just curious ....
Old 10-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: After all the discussion ....

Hi Auntie,

I have seen these blanks but have ne experience with same. At the price offered, if I were itching to wrap a cane blank I'd probably give them a try.

Ard
Auntie Em likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think you can find cheaper except if you get a bamboo in my neighbor's garden....I'm sure you can build a little marvel with one of them Betty
Auntie Em likes this.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:17 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

This is killing me, I swear I replied to this thread earlier, must have hit preview and then closed the window

I finished two, a blonde 7'6" 4wt no name taper that I really like. Casts well and has landed some fish north of 20" without trouble. The other is one of his Payne tapers, flamed 9' 5/6wt. I find it tip heavy and if I was to do it again would do a different grip, downlocking seat, and fighting butt to see if that made it balance better.

I've never built a bamboo blank so can't evaluate the construction. Here's a review of them by someone who has. Two of the blanks he reviews are the ones I picked-up to build. A google search will probably turn up various discussion, people have strong opinions on both sides. Some opinions relate to quality while some on country of origin (blank constructed in China). From my perspective they are a great price and make nice rods. If a friend wants an inexpensive bamboo rod I won't hesitate to get another. Personally finishing these two has me researching building the blank myself

Here is a close-up of the 9' rod so you can see some of the blank color with the flaming, etc - rattan grip and you can see some imperfection in the wraps as I learn to use gossamer on the hex blank!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:04 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Headed out to fish for the week. Will give this more thought while out on the stream. Probably could build a fairly pretty stick on those blanks. And for my style of "fishing", it may just be serviceable!!
Hardyreels and williamhj like this.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 AM

fr8dog is on a distinguished road

This thread got me interested, so I called him this morning. I've done glass and graphite, but never played with bamboo before. (except trying to kill it in my yard) Talked to him for about 15 minutes and he answered my questions. I'm going to order a kit to start, see how it is to build. Probably the 7 1/2 4 wt. If it goes OK, I'll spring for one of the better blanks.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:56 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

For what it is worth, I ended up buying snake brand guides (original) and got ferrules from the Golden Witch. Figured it is worth paying a bit more for what I know to be quality. the stuff he carries might be fine though.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

As usual William, you did a marvelous job on the cane rods, I would like to see more pictures when you have time. If you have already posted them please direct me to that thread.

Thanks,

Ard
williamhj likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-14-2013, 08:37 PM

Thanks Ard, I appreciate your kind words. I thought I'd done a thread on the rod, but couldn't find it. Here are a couple more pictures. I like the rattan cigar style grip on lighter rods but it isn't the right one for this rod and the flaming ended up at bit too dark. I love agate guides though!

Pocono and Auntie Em like this.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:42 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Thanks Ard, I appreciate your kind words. I thought I'd done a thread on the rod, but couldn't find it. Here are a couple more pictures. I like the rattan cigar style grip on lighter rods but it isn't the right one for this rod and the flaming ended up at bit too dark. I love agate guides though!

Nice, nice, nice!!

Pocono
Auntie Em and williamhj like this.