The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By petee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 03:01 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Trim Wraps - best method?

I want to do trim wraps on my current build, and have been looking for instructions, but there are so many different ways to do it. I just want to do a simple look, with 5 or so wraps of one color at the front, then the rest of a second color up to the tie off.

Does anyone know a link or something that they feel is the easiest way to handle this type of tie?
Old 10-16-2013, 03:58 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Trim Wraps - best method?

I've done it like this:

Old 10-17-2013, 11:37 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I gave that one a shot yesterday. Worked pretty well, and fairly easy, but I had a few times where the thread overlapped after I slid it off the tube.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:17 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Another very simple method is to do your trim wraps just like you do the main wraps. Only before you start, tape your pull loop to the blank. Start your trim wrap the exact same way you do the main wrap. When you get the number of turns you want for the trim band cut the thread and pull it thru will your pull loop. Then it's just a matter of trimming off the tag ends.

The other method you tried is basically a nail know which works great, except, as you found out, for the occasional thread overlap. But the same thing happens to me everytime I do a nail knot.

Just like your main wraps make sure you have the pull loop pointing in the right direction

Pete
williamhj and nick k like this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 10-17-2013, 01:28 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
Another very simple method is to do your trim wraps just like you do the main wraps. Only before you start, tape your pull loop to the blank. Start your trim wrap the exact same way you do the main wrap. When you get the number of turns you want for the trim band cut the thread and pull it thru will your pull loop. Then it's just a matter of trimming off the tag ends.
I have done it this way and with less than 5 wraps. If you are going to use CP on the wraps apply the CP once you've finished the wraps and before you trim the tag ends. Make sure the tags don't get stuck to the wraps as it dries! Doing this helps lock the trim wrap in place before you start cutting things If you're not using CP just be careful!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:46 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. Great suggestions.