The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 09:15 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly
Default Bamboo Rod Build

I just completed my very first Bamboo rod build from scratch, from flaming the bamboo culm, splitting, straighten, rough planning, hand planning, ferrules, cork handle, varnish dip and wrapping guides. What a blast it was building this rod, most enjoyable part was casting it for the first time. The tapper is a Martha Marie (Paul Young) 7’ 6” 5wt 2/2 and does it cast beautiful, I had a chance to fish the rod over the weekend, I really like how it handles the rainbows & browns. Never built a bamboo or graphite fly rod nor had any desire to build one until now and I am hooked, the hands on and process of building a bamboo rod from start to finish is what fascinates me. I was fortunate a good friend showed me the step-by-step process of making a bamboo rod; he has over 40 plus years building them. I have started on my second rod; Perfectionist tapper (Paul Young) 7’ 6” 4wt 2/2, can’t wait to zing the fly line through the guides.

Click the image to open in full size.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 10-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bamboo Rod Build

Sweet looking rod, congrats on your first cane build!
Of course I'm jealous.

Larry
popperfly likes this.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Kevin,

Wow, I didn't know you were doing this, and it looks as though you've done a bang up job on the rod. Congratulations on some fine craftsmanship.

ARd
popperfly likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-21-2013, 05:33 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice looking rod there! And I really like the pairing with the old Pflueger reel. What made you decide on Young tapers?

Pocono
popperfly likes this.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

What a rod! I like the wrap colors as well. Very impressive.
popperfly likes this.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:48 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Very nice looking rod there! And I really like the pairing with the old Pflueger reel. What made you decide on Young tapers?

Pocono
Pocono,
I really decided on the PY Martha Marie after casting several different PY tappers my friend has built over the years, it was great having a selection to pick from and cast. J I really like the action of the Martha Marie and the Perfectionist tapper but decided on PYMM tapper for the first rod. So now I am starting on the Perfectionist 7’ 6” 4wt 2/2, now for my second build.

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
What a rod! I like the wrap colors as well. Very impressive.
William,

Thanks, that was the first rod I ever wrapped, I was impressed myself they turned out that good I think having several years of tying flies might of help me with the wraps. The best part of the wraps is the silk thread is actual a Paul Young thread my friend gave me for this build.
williamhj likes this.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:55 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

This is very impressive. I would be overwhelmed taking on that project. Awesome job and looking forward to seeing the next one.
popperfly likes this.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Kevin,

Wow, I didn't know you were doing this, and it looks as though you've done a bang up job on the rod. Congratulations on some fine craftsmanship.

ARd
Ard,

Thanks...I guess I will need to build one this winter in the upper weight and head your way this spring
mridenour likes this.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Wow!that's a beautyI love the wraps too!for a first attempt it's a great success
popperfly likes this.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:21 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Beauty. Congrats!
popperfly likes this.