The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By nick k
  • 1 Post By petee
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 03:10 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default My new 2/3wt spey rod

Just finished this 12'0'' 2/3wt spey rod. Unlike most spey rods which are actually 2 single hand line sizes above their rating, this one is actually designed to take a 2/3wt single hand line, making it probably the lightest spey rod in the world.

Components:
AR 12'0'' 2/3wt blanks in a dark brown/mahogany color
Batson front and rear grips with cap
REC snake guides
REC large loop tip top
Dark red thread with silver metallic trim wraps
Alps RA7 reel seat with rosewood insert

Sorry for the poor quality and lighting of the pictures, taken with my phone.

Click the image to open in full size.

baseman1 and king joe like this.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:28 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My new 2/3wt spey rod

Nice looking build. Good thread color for the blank. Like the stripper, gives the rod an old school look . I am still learning the Spey game so please don't think I am being a smart arse. Is there a Skagit or Scandi line light enough to throw on that? Or is it primarily a two handed overhead caster?

Thanks,
Pete
nick k likes this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 11-06-2013, 03:33 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Steve Godshall (big name in Spey, and custom line builder) helped rate these rods for Johnny at AR and he gave this particular model the following ranges:

Scandi - 160-210g
Skagit - 210-260g

I have heard people using skagits on this rod up into the low 300s though, so I think the range is actually a little larger. Some commercially bought lines actually do come in these windows (easier to find matching skagits), but I actually had Steve Godshall build me a custom 227g 27.5' scandi head. At least I think those are the specifications without having the paper in front of me. The rod is also very light, so overhead casting it with a single hand 2 or 3wt line is not a chore.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:59 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice wraps!
nick k likes this.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:28 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Admittedly I do not know a whole lot about spey rods, but its a tactic that I find interesting and will probably one day explore.

Being a guy that enjoys fishing primarily lighter weight rods, I think your build here is very interesting. I'm also a nitch type of fisherman, and enjoy experimenting with different so called "tools"/rods, and applying different tactics, to various situations.

I'm interested in hearing more!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:28 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

got 2 now in 3 wt 11 foot...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-06-2013, 05:51 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Sure is pur-dee.

Am clueless about the spey stuff though. I thought spey rods were about launching big to huge flies way-the-hell-out-there and sort of swinging them from far away.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:20 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Montana, think Montana. Get in the car and drive with an old Dog(s) in the back of the Jeep. Rod on the Beach for the first time.

Dog.

'Snuffly, grunt, growl, roll side to the side in the rocks, wiggle/squiggle' as you put the rod together for the first time.

Put the rod on top of the car and gave him a cuddle. Amazing how wet/cold their nose can be. Didn't catch a thing.

fae
Old 11-06-2013, 07:31 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
Sure is pur-dee.

Am clueless about the spey stuff though. I thought spey rods were about launching big to huge flies way-the-hell-out-there and sort of swinging them from far away.
Me too, very curious about the applications of a stick like this one... Heck of a good-looking rod