The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First try, 8' 4wt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Sweet looking rod, congrats!
+1....I usually agree with Larry
Old 11-10-2013, 10:14 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Ya know ... I'm just not sure about these people who can build like that for their first build!!
Fantastic first build! Sure there are little things that will come with additional builds, but for a first? Dang!!
Old 11-10-2013, 01:37 PM

ctshooter has a spectacular aura aboutctshooter has a spectacular aura about

Thank you

Well just got back from trying it out, got 2 little(read that "sardines") brookies, if I get about 50 more I might get a meal, I was surprised such little fish went for an 18 size Blue wing olive.

My casting is getting better, I can sort of hit where I want about 30 percent of the time

I do have a bunch of questions now though, to start, what is the smallest practical fly rod you can build and what size line and leader would that use?

Some of the little holes I fish I have found are still to small for an 8' rod with a 7.5' leader.

Time to start a list for the next build
Old 11-10-2013, 01:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I built a 7' 2wt that I enjoy. I know you can find them in 6'6" as well. Mudhole sells Orvis Superfine Touch blanks 6' 1wt and 2wt. If you want even shorter you can look at spinning blanks. I think 1/16th lure weight is about 1wt fly rod, which will give you an idea of what line to try on the rod once it is done.

For leader I use a 4' furled with whatever tippet I need on the end.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
For leader I use a 4' furled
Can you translate that for me, all I really know about leaders is the package says "7.5 ft 6x" and that's the one I need.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

Hope fully the blue will show better

Click the image to open in full size.

And the last question for today, what is the best way to store a fly rod, leave it together and strung up, or put it in a case and wind down the line on the reel?
Old 11-10-2013, 02:31 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Sweet looking rod. I'm getting ready to start a build, and appreciate having you share your experiences. It all helps. Thanks for sharing.
Nice color combo, too. Let us how it fishes !
Old 11-10-2013, 04:18 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTShooter View Post
Can you translate that for me, all I really know about leaders is the package says "7.5 ft 6x" and that's the one I need.

And the last question for today, what is the best way to store a fly rod, leave it together and strung up, or put it in a case and wind down the line on the reel?
A furled leader is a bit different, they are made up of strands of uni-thread or something similar. You can put one on and switch from 6x tippet to 3x without needing to change out your whole leader and they cast very well. Here's a link to one that would work for you. The leader you have been using is all mono, starts rather thick and ends at 6x tippet. A furled leader has a taper built into it and you just attach a piece of tippet to the end, 5x or 6x or whatever. You need to pick up some floatant paste to rub on it. I love furled leaders

If you want to use a tapered leader on your light rod, poke around to see if you can find one 5' or 6' long. Otherwise I might pick up a couple tippet spools in the size you want (5x or 6x etc) and a 7'6" tapered leader in 7x or 8x. Find the spot on the leader where it looks the same size as your 5x tippet and cut the leader there and add a bit more tippet from your spool. This might shorten it enough. Otherwise you can build one yourself.

I don't leave my rods strung up. In the tube is good protection especially for the tip. I will let them dry first though. If you have a safe spot you can leave them together overnight or 24 hours etc and then put them away. I often put them in the rod sock and on a shelf for a bit before returning them to the tube. I often leave my tubes unzipped as well.

Nice picture! Oftentimes taking pics on cloudy days or on sunny days but out of the sunlight shows the colors well.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 PM

Round 2
I needed a winding stop, and not satisfied with buying anything, I dug out a piece of rosewood and a knife:

I also spent a lot of time reading all about wrapping guides and remembered I had some white silk thread. So I prepared the hook holder like you all told me too, and wrapped it on, and added the white silk accents:

And coated it with sealer/CP, probably figure out a way to get the weight/ length written on it then put the final epoxy on.

Thanks for the help, can't wait to start the next one