The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 03:04 PM

ctshooter has a spectacular aura aboutctshooter has a spectacular aura about
Default First try, 8' 4wt

Decided I needed to build a fly rod, after messing with a couple of the "temporary" one time jigs, I built this
Click the image to open in full size.

The thread holder has adjustable tension and 2 of the 3 rod holders are adjustable.

And ended up with this

Still need to do the hook holder and the little piece where the cork ends. Haven't been out on the water, but in the yard it is casting as well as I can.

Started with a "seconds" blank, didn't want to make expensive mistakes, I do see potential for another before spring. Can't let the jig go to waste.

Thanks for letting me share, you can find me on the Northern Farmington river or some of the tiny no name streams in NW CT
Old 11-09-2013, 04:27 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First try, 8' 4wt

Very nice! I like the color combo and the simplicity of the grip. Looks like a classy rod. Smart move making a third upright for the jig. Can be very helpful with the tip area which has a lot of flex to it.

It is hard to see from the pictures, is that blank showing below the wrap on the female ferrule or do you have a band of color similar to the blank?
Old 11-09-2013, 04:37 PM

The wrap ends about 3/16" from the end, I guessed.

It is only the one color wrap, I wanted to keep it simple for the first try
Old 11-09-2013, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi John,

I'm glad to see you made it onto the forum and even happier to see you open up posting!

Welcome to the group; nice workmanship there. I have a very similar rod rack that came from Cabelas back in the day. It still is holding up after moving all over the continent with me for all this time.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-09-2013, 06:14 PM

Thank you. Glad I made it, was feeling kind of stupid that I couldn't register.

I do have a question about preping guides for wrapping. How do you get the wrap to go smooth over the end of the guide, with out having a "step"?

I read the 2 stickys about building a rod, but didn't see anything about that.

All the pictures of you super builders have that eliminated.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:38 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

For snake guides step one is buying 'Snake Brand' guides. The guide feet don't really require any prepping before wrapping.

For other snakes, single foot, and stripping guides I use a file and shape the foot to transition smoothly from the blank. I think some people use power tools to do it
Old 11-09-2013, 07:13 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Hey big guy.......welcome to the forum......nice work..........let us know how it fishes!!! I like the red on black.........

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 11-09-2013, 07:33 PM

Thank you, I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow, it's actually blue with a red wrap
Old 11-09-2013, 08:42 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

X1 on the Snake Brand guides. If you do buy cheaper guides you will have to prep them as mentioned above. But with guides you have to prep don't forget to pay attention to the bottom of the foot. A burr there can score the blank over time and cause it to fail.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 11-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet looking rod, congrats!

Larry