Non-glossy thread epoxy

plecain

Reaction score
I'm building a rod with a flat-black blank and guides.

Is there a suitable guide epoxy that will also have a flat finish? Or, is there some trick to taking the shine off normal glossy epoxy?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If, and that is the key word here, 'if' you are willing to use something other than epoxy McCloskey makes the Man O' War Marine Spar Varnish in satin gloss. There will still be a sheen but not the glass like high gloss of a finish like Flex Coat.

I have a bamboo rod that I finished with this product in 1989 and the wraps are still as good as the day I coated them. Prior to our modern epoxy finishes Spar varnish was the accepted treatment for rod finishing. I am going to upgrade the strippers and guides on my 1981 Hardy this winter and will use varnish to finish the dressings. If I were doing a rod like you describe I wouldn't hesitate to use McCloskey's varnish on the threads.

Ard

williamhj

Reaction score
+1 on using varnish. Or you could try letting the wrap cure and seeing if you could knock down the shine a bit. Would need to be careful not to compromise the integrity of the finish but could we worth a try. If it is a bad idea hopefully someone will chime in :)

plecain

Reaction score
Varnish sounds like a possibility.

I was wondering about urethane. That comes in gloss, semi, and flat. It's usually pretty thin, so it will take a lot of coats.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Although urethane has seized a large part of the coatings market, rod builders and boat restoration folks stay the course with Spar Varnish. The McCloskey product is low viscosity and will take 3 coats to make a good build . You can do more but generally (if I remember) by the time you apply #3 you're looking pretty good.

plecain

Reaction score
It looks like McCloskey and Valspar are the same company now.

My local Lowes carries Valspar Man O' War spar varnish.

Is that the stuff?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it should be available in quarts but a pint will last a lifetime :) Not to worry about Valspar, I spent a good many years in restoration and Historical restorations as well. Valspar has been in the coatings business since somewhere around 1870. I used many of their products and had many satisfied customers.

barham

Reaction score
Dear Hardyreels,
You better be careful who you tell about using spar varnish! I mentioned on the Robdbuilding forum that I had used Helmsman Spar Varnish on a 9ft 5wt Quickline project and got fussed at strongly for being an amateur and using old fashioned technology. Actually, the rod turned out very well with a flat looking, non globby, covering over the wraps.
Its too bad some people have only one idea of what is acceptable and have no sense of humor.
barham

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I would never question the expertise of the rod finisher's on that forum but remember that varnish was good enough for Payne, Garrison, H.L. Leonard, Gillium, Hardy Bros. LTD. and many others who were building and finishing fly rods before we were born :)

I repped you on that post

L

Liphookedau

It wouldn't be a bad idea to contact The Manufacturers of The Finishes you use as they would surely know of something to take The Gloss off their products without affecting it.
Most manufacturers I've had anything to do with are only too happy to help also it could be an opening for a New Product for them.
Another thing you'll have a larger range of Products you can use.
Brian

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The smallest Valspar that my local Lowes sells is the pint can.
The spar varnish from Ace Hardware is highly recommended by the guys over at the classic rod forum and comes in half pints.
That's what I use on my glass rods

plecain

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I'm going to try the varnish on a spare rod fragment.

I'm also going to try a deglosser over epoxy to see if that works.

I have some satin urethane, so I may as well try that, too.

petee

Reaction score
Who ever said spar varnish is old school, on the other forum, is out of touch when it comes using it. They probably learned to build using flex coat and never looked past that finish. Bamboo and fiberglass rods are still finished and refinished with spar. It last for years and is very easy to touch up.

Besides its custom rod building...... there is no wrong way to do it.

williamhj

Reaction score
Who ever said spar varnish is old school, on the other forum, is out of touch when it comes using it. They probably learned to build using flex coat and never looked past that finish. Bamboo and fiberglass rods are still finished and refinished with spar. It last for years and is very easy to touch up.

Besides its custom rod building...... there is no wrong way to do it.
And who said being old school is bad anyway? It's a myth that newer = better :)

Reactions: Ard

random user

Reaction score
Old school = bad?

Like the Roman-tech wax ring that seals my toilet to the drain pipe? That's +2k old school! That must make it purely evil.