The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 08:53 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default under 15 $

To you all, who would like to build your own custom rod set up. Here it is under 15$.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hardyreels, mcnerney and williamhj like this.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: under 15 $

Nice work Kayo but that darn finishing motor will be the wrench thrown into the deal

Although I think they are worth the cost because turning by hand, although it can be done, isn't nearly as good a way.

Great post and I'll rep that one........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-16-2013, 09:10 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Ard, just add one of this and improvise

Drying Motor for Power Wrapper (9 RPM) | mudhole.com
Old 11-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have one that I bought from Cabela's in 1981, it is 3.5 rpm. The new fast ones seem too fast to me, look for a slower motor, it'll work fine, trust me. I've used mine with both epoxy finishes and varnish. 3.5 or as close as you can get to it

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-16-2013, 10:54 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I always like to see custom rod building stands. How do you keep the thread holder stand in place under tension? I need to rebuild the spool holder/tensioner part of my setup.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:22 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I always like to see custom rod building stands. How do you keep the thread holder stand in place under tension? I need to rebuild the spool holder/tensioner part of my setup.

Thanks for sharing.
All be it years ago I used the 'spring' from a ball point pen with a screw through and a 'wing nut' nut for tension. Pretty simple but it worked.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:43 PM

Default Re: under 15 $l

Go to Ace Hardware or your local store. they sell many size springs, for 50 cents each if you look at the first picture you can see the spring
between the wood and the spool, I use a nylon washer on both side of the thread spool for smother tension.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:35 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I think he is asking how you keep the base that holds the spools under tension from moving/wiggling on the table, while you wrap. I had the same question. If you built it so that it doesn't move or shift at all it would be great to know, looks like a very flexible set-up.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:54 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I think he is asking how you keep the base that holds the spools under tension from moving/wiggling on the table, while you wrap. I had the same question. If you built it so that it doesn't move or shift at all it would be great to know, looks like a very flexible set-up.
Yes that is what I meant. It looks like that base would be pulled forward as you wrap. I have my thread spool rods attached to the same base as the rod cradle, but it is problematic with having them upright. I need to make something so they are held parallel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2013, 06:34 AM

ctshooter has a spectacular aura aboutctshooter has a spectacular aura about

I attached all the uprights to a base, 2 of the 3 uprights are adjustable and the motor fits in a bracket on the end and is removed during the wrapping process