The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 10:06 AM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about
Default Matrix 7' 3wt Blank

Has anyone had experience with this blank? Im looking for a 2 or 3wt blank to make a delicate small stream rod at an affordable price point.

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

Also where do yall find to be the best place to order your supplies and parts?
Old 12-03-2013, 10:32 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Matrix 7' 3wt Blank

I built a 9'6wt which had a defect, but they replaced it. Just ordered a 7'9" 3wt for my brother. Can't speak to the action etc of the one you are looking at but don't think you should worry about quality etc. A lot of folks built on them. As for where to get stuff, here's what I use:

Cork and Snake Brand Guides:
Proof Fly Fishing (great cork and snake brand guides are worth the extra money)

Reel Seats
Dave Winslow - Winslow rods. Turns the wood inserts to order and has a great website that is easy to use.

General Rod building stores:
Utmost Enterprises - often get a discount on blanks etc through them
Ye Old English Fly Shop - blanks and assorted other parts, Brian is very helpful
The Golden Witch - very nice stuff
JS Stockard
Acid Rod
Mudhole
Bingham Enterprises - website isn't the best but if you email Karen she is helpful
The Anglers Roost

There are other places including ebay, but those are the ones I hit most often. I should add Jann's Net Craft. I don't order much from them personally but like you they are in Ohio. I find most of their blanks seem to be 1 or 2 piece but they have a lot of rod building stuff.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:27 AM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

Have you built on any blanks from Ye Old English Fly Shop? At that price I think that would be a good place to start.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:59 AM

tedp is on a distinguished road

For AmTac Matrix fly blanks, check out The Anglers Habitat on the big auction site. It's the best price I've seen around. Better than the 50% off Cyber Monday sale at Mudhole.

I've also built on the "Blanks by Roger" also found on the same site. I find the blanks to be pretty good for the price.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:17 PM

barham will become famous soon enough

For whatever its worth, I recently built a 8' 4wt 4 piece rod from a Mudhole MHX kit. I really liked the action, but unfortunately my son did also and ended up with it!
I think the entire kit from Mudhole was slightly over $100.00.
barham
Old 12-03-2013, 02:32 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianfishn View Post
Have you built on any blanks from Ye Old English Fly Shop? At that price I think that would be a good place to start.
Yes I have. An 8'6" 4/5wt for my wife, a 9' 5wt for myself, and a 7'9" 3wt for myself. Have fished all three rods and am very happy with them. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I think he has free shipping if over $30 so it can be worth it to add some winding checks etc if you're close to 30. Shipping for blanks isn't cheap.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:16 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Picked up the Matrix 3wt 7'6" 2pc from Cabelas cheap on sale, $20. Built it up using Mudhole grip/guides kit.

I'm not much of a below 5wt user but it feels pretty fast for a 3wt. I can cast 50+' with a orvis wf3f. Caught a few brim with it and was lots of fun. Here in Houston not much need for it but hey it's all about fun.

Rod is true and has good finish, mine's the green.

Have built a 7wt and 10wt with MHX blanks and really like them, fast but controllable.

Probably will buy one of the Matrix on sale in 12wt for a budget "heavy" rod. We're chasing some really huge alligator gar. Broke a rod on a huge one last summer.

Pete a.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:34 PM

swcr is on a distinguished road

Dont rule ot the Lemke reel seats, also can be purchased with inserts as per your choosing
Old 12-04-2013, 07:52 AM

I like the Lemke seats, do you order direct from there? If not I was thinking of a cap and ring seat using cork like a GLoomis 3wt I used one had. But I cant find one to purchase.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:10 AM

SWCR will probably contact you since he sells them. You can also go to Snake Brand Guides site and he carries Lemke seats. They are not the same though I don't know the difference. Probably worth talking to both to hear about the options.