The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 10:41 PM
fseren

Question Batson Forecast F865-4DB blank and Rec recoil guides?

Hi

I have just been offered a F865-4DB (8'6" 5wt 4 pieces, dark blue) Batson Forecast blank by my young nephew, who is obviously expecting me to build my first owned rod with it.
I am fairly new to fly fishing, and learnt the basics with a Sage SP rod that was lent to me. I had a look at the specs on line, and the Forecast blank seems a very good choice for a beginner. Whoever advised my nephew did a good job, also taking into account his very limited budget.
I've also found the list of recommended components there: Forecast 4pc Fly F865-4
Here is my question: do you think it would be possible, and worth it, to go for Rec recoil guides in order to keep the added stuff as light as possible and keep the blank crisp and responsive? Batson already recommends single foot guides anyway...
The difference is about $20, so it's not too bad. But I am wondering if it would affect the guide placement and overall balance...?
Also, should I keep the guide sizes suggested by Batson, i.e sizes 3 and 4 , and size 12 for the stripping guide? And should I go for the small or the bigger loop for the tip?
Since it's obviously a rod that I will keep and use - at least when my nephew's visiting ! - I'd rather build as good a fishing tool as possible.
Thanks a lot in advance
Keep warm!
Old 12-07-2013, 10:51 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Batson Forecast F865-4DB blank and Rec recoil guides?

Sounds like a nice build! Nothing wrong with that Batson line. I've followed the specs on those pdfs and been happy with the rod. You can do a static test taping the guides in place and see how the line travels but those pdfs are a great guide. I haven't used recoils personally, not a fan of single foots myself but a lot of people like them. I'm not sure the weight is really anything you'd notice anyway. Personally I use snake brand guides since the feet don't need to be prepped but I'm not sure what the recoils are like. Are you shaping your own grip?

Enjoy!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:17 AM
fseren

Hi,
No, I won't be shaping my own grip. Apart from the guides that I may change, I'll use the cork grip and reel seat suggested in the PDF. I have zero experience in rod building and am only attempting this build so my nephew won't be disappointed. Well, I did replace two guides on my favorite spinning rod two years ago, but it hardly counts... I must say I'm a bit apprehensive, to say the least I've printed several tutorials, bookmarked interesting posts a.s.o Finding the spine and putting the grip and reel seat in place won't be a cake walk, that's for sure.
I went on the Snake website; they seem to have excellent guides indeed! I am still a little partial to single foot guides as they seem easier to wrap, as well as the lightest. I wish Snake made them too. Their Universal guides are extremely tempting though.
Do you know if Rec single foot guides need filing and straightening? They say on their website that they are extremely well manufactured, to the highest standards.
Also, there are two types: RSF & RSFX. I wonder which ones would be best for my blank...
Well, time to hit the sack
Old 12-08-2013, 10:44 AM

tedp is on a distinguished road
Default Batson Forecast F865-4DB blank and Rec recoil guides?

I've been building rods for about 10 years. I've only been building fly rods for the last 2 or so. While the basic steps are pretty much identical for any rod build, I still searched around and found some good resources for fly rod specific building. One thing I found that I really liked and wish I'd seen years ago was a series of videos on youtube by "The Flyrod Fanatic". Check it out.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:33 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Go ahead and use the Recoil single foot (RSF) guides--they're the lightest in the world and less weight on your rod tip is nothing but a good thing. Using them won't affect Batson's suggested guide placement, but doing a static test just to make sure is always a good idea. RSF are for freshwater/light duty and RSFX are for saltwater/heavy duty. For a 5wt, go with the RSF. Recoil running guides need no prep.

A size 12 stripper should be fine. Following it by one size 4, five size 3, and two size 2 single foots is the way I went on the last 8'6" rod I built (a super fast, high modulus 4 weight) and it turned out great. Following the Batson recommendation is another way to go, and I'm sure it would work just fine. I would stick with a regular size loop tip top on your rod.

Many very accomplished rod builders claim that you should only use one size of running guides (so you could go with all size 3, for example), but I like to use one "tamer" running guide after the stripper and then step down on the tip of the rod one size (hence the two size 2 guides). That's the beauty of a custom rod!

Whatever decisions you make, take your time and enjoy the process. As long as you don't try to rush anything I'm sure that you'll be pleased with how it turns out (and your nephew will be impressed).
Old 12-08-2013, 04:52 PM
fseren

Tedp, thanks a lot for the link! This step by step instructional series will be a GREAT help
Rob, thank you for your encouragements and precious advice! As far as Batson's guide placement chart, do you measure from the uppermost part of the tip top guide to the top of the single foot guide?
I will definitely take my time and not rush anything.
Thanks a lot again.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:10 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fseren View Post
Tedp, thanks a lot for the link! This step by step instructional series will be a GREAT help
Rob, thank you for your encouragements and precious advice! As far as Batson's guide placement chart, do you measure from the uppermost part of the tip top guide to the top of the single foot guide?
I will definitely take my time and not rush anything.
Thanks a lot again.
I'd measure from the tip of the rod, if Batson doesn't specifiy, to the base of the single foot guide's ring (i.e., where the loop meets the blank).

There's not a lot of difference between what I said and measuring to the tip of a single foot guide--don't stress too much over it. Besides, you'll probably have to adjust a little bit on the guides that are near ferrules anyway.

Before you finish anything, be sure to run a line and do a static test to see how the rod bends. You're in charge of this build, so you get to decide how it goes down.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:20 AM
fseren

Okay.
After browsing the Net further, I think I'll go with your formula:
Quote:
A size 12 stripper should be fine. Following it by one size 4, five size 3, and two size 2 single foots is the way I went on the last 8'6" rod I built
As far as the guides placement, I'll try the Baston recommended one to start with, and see how the rod behaves during the static test, as advised.
I'd also be very interested in trying the guides placement you used on the rod you mentioned, if it's okay with you of course.
Many thanks again. I really appreciate the help +++
Cheers
Old 12-13-2013, 01:52 PM
fseren

After test, Batson guides placement seems to work fine. I ll stick to that.
Finding the spine on all the pieces wasn't a piece of cake. Hope I got it right.
Cheers
Old 12-14-2013, 12:05 AM

Don't worry and enjoy the process!