The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By biggie_robs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 11:05 PM

mawhrin_skel is on a distinguished road
Default Affordable uplocking reel seat and insert for inletted grip, blank butt 0.345

Good evening,

I am looking for an affordable reel seat + insert (to use with an inletted grip) that would fit a 9' blank with a 0.345 butt.
The Pac Bay UL3 is affordable and has an insert bore size of 0.370, so it should accommodate the blank, but it seems a bit tight...?
Any suggestion?
Thanks
Old 12-19-2013, 11:08 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affordable uplocking reel seat and insert for inletted grip, blank butt 0.345

Check out Dave Winslow Rods. He turns very nice inserts and has a few hardware options. I've email or call him and let him know what you're looking for. His reel seats and inserts are beautiful and his web-page is very user-friendly. Run $25-35. I used cheaper seats on earlier rods but realized another $10 - $15 for a unique insert is well worth it to me.

I'll add that seat would probably work just fine. Tight isn't bad and if a seat is too tight you can use a drill bits to ream it out a touch.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:45 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: Affordable uplocking reel seat and insert for inletted grip, blank butt 0.345

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawhrin_skel View Post
Good evening,

I am looking for an affordable reel seat + insert (to use with an inletted grip) that would fit a 9' blank with a 0.345 butt.
The Pac Bay UL3 is affordable and has an insert bore size of 0.370, so it should accommodate the blank, but it seems a bit tight...?
Any suggestion?
Thanks
The closer to the bore the butt is, the less tape you have to use as an arbor. In other words, it's a good thing when your butt diameter is close to, but a bit less than, the reel seat bore. Be happy.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:46 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

What is affordable for your budget? Asking because when I buy the Lemke Titanium hardware, for my saltwater speys and switch rods, at $70 bucks a pop $35 to $40 is affordable. Plus when the addiction is raging its all affordable .

Ron @ Southwest Custom Rods also turns inserts for the Lemke hardware. So I'm sure he would bore one out to need your specs. Besides I like to generate extra labor for Ron. Keeps him out of mischief.

As a side note too loose is not really an issue. Tape arbors or drywall mesh works very well. Too snug can squeege off the epoxy making for a weaker joint. Not that a reel seat sees a ton of stress

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 12-21-2013, 01:35 PM

mawhrin_skel is on a distinguished road

Hi
Thanks for ur answers. It turns out I can get the U3 + insert for $12 thanks to a voucher I have. Since the insert bore size shouldnt be a problem, I ll go for it.
I am on a -tight- budget, or else I d go for a customized one, for sure