The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By petee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 12:16 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Winston 12'6" 6wt. Spey

Just about totally finished on a build all for me. Took it up to the Kern River yesterday and snapped some quick pics on the river. Built it for the local salt water, but it may be hard to get it salt and sand all over it the first time.

Blank: Winston 12'6", 6 weight, 4 piece
Seat: Titanium with a Black Ash Burl insert
Handles: Mixed cork with Black Ash Burl inserts.
Stripping guides: Fuji
Winding Check: Custom turned aluminum
Wraps: Gudebrod green, black and metallic pewter trim wraps

Click the image to open in full size.

mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16

Last edited by petee; 01-13-2014 at 06:33 AM. Reason: I can't spell worth a hoot
Old 01-12-2014, 12:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Winston 12'6" 6wt. Spey

Petee that's a real beauty. Subtle wraps and gorgeous handles and reel seat. How did it cast?
Old 01-12-2014, 02:09 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winston 12'6" 6wt. Spey

Pete: Congrats, another awesome build! I really like what you did with the Black Ash Burl.

Larry

Old 01-12-2014, 09:37 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Well done! I own the factory made version. It's a sweet stick...
Old 01-29-2014, 10:30 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Dang Pete, I missed this when you posted it...that is awesome! I really like what you did with the grip, wood center is really cool. But how does that feel in hand? It seems like it would be slippery when wet.

How much do those Lemke seats run, ballpark?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:06 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

dean mt,

They really don't get slick. Totally different than I thought when I first saw both wood and finished cork handles. Plus with it being a Spey my front hand is actually above the wood (if I'm doing it right) and your back hand is around the knob on the end of the handle.

Sent you a PM on the Lemke hardware.

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16

Last edited by petee; 01-29-2014 at 02:37 PM.