The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Auntie Em
  • 1 Post By kgh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 08:09 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice
Default Custom Rod Bags (socks)

Does anyone know of a place to get custom-made rod socks (soft, divided, cloth bags)?

I need some odd sizes:

11' 4-piece rod with slot for extra tip
7'6" 4-piece rod with slot for extra tip
10' 4-piece rod with slot for extra tip
Old 01-16-2014, 08:18 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Custom Rod Bags (socks)

I've bought off ebay. I've used the seller 'jiggles2' though don't see anything listed for sale right now. A search turns up others who sell custom socks. Now my wife is kind of enough to make them for me
Old 01-16-2014, 09:19 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Another idea,

My wife and I use many of the same model of rods and over time we decided that one way to keep them straight was to create a set of color coded rod socks for one of us. Since then, she has sewn several for us, which are much nicer than anything the big boys include with their rods. For even a mildly talented seamstress, a rod sock equates to tying a bugger or hares ear nymph - simple and quick.
She thinks that if you let your fingers do the walking in the yellow pages for local seamstresses, sewing shops, etc. you should be able to find someone that can knock out whatever you want in short order, in a variety of colors and materials. Just bring along a sample sock or two, along with the rod so they can get the measurements right.

TT
Old 01-16-2014, 09:32 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Click the image to open in full size.

I make my own too. I use childrens flannel, in kids patterns, so they will show up if dropped on the ground. Both Hub and I have similar rods (I build all of ours), so we know whose are whose. They're soft, and we keep them in a hard case between trips and during trips to and from the trout fields!
jpbfly and cowger10 like this.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:47 AM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

Let me know if you find someone that will make them on the cheap in a nice microfiber. I recently purchased one of the Orvis rod and reel bags, and the stock socks don't have any padding, and I have a lot of rods in it. I don't really want to pay $10 a sock for the CBD ones if I could find something cheaper.

I would need the following:
1- 7ft 3 piece
1 - 9ft 4 piece for salt water rod with fighting but and large stripping guides (so basically two larger sleeves and a tad longer case)
1 - 10ft 4 piece (no fighting butt)
4 - 9ft 4 piece

Thanks!

Edit: Those look great Auntie Em. Love the fun flannel colors.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice bags Betty
Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 AM

kgh is on a distinguished road

My wife makes mine for my cases
qacwac likes this.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:25 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

Wife of Home Waters fly shop owner in Eugene, Oregon has made some for me. She has quite a following.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:28 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Those socks are really nice..esp the red checked 'quilted' looking one. Nice job !

Mike
Old 01-27-2014, 08:28 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

My wife had a business making and selling rod bags. She made and sold several hundred bags a year. Unfortunately, as of now, she has stopped making them. Problem is that the cost of fabric had gone up, often by a factor of two or three times what she had previously been paying. Even though she was buying fabric commercially, the costs of the materials had almost reached the price of what she was charging for the bags.

I was lucky to "procure" a lifetime supply. I got to keep all her rejects, which in point of fact were nicer and better made than the commercial products.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo