The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 11:31 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Switch rod building for a Noob.

Nice man, I like the handle. I am not much of a handyman and I don't have much tools nor machinery to make my own. Although I really like the Beulah Classic handle. So, I have to go with the preformed handles. Where did you get the skeleton grey reel seat from? That is pretty retro.

I am still in the planning process and learning different techniques and components. Planning to build the 5wt since it is like a 3wt switch with a Batson blank, but lately I am interested in getting the 3/4 10'6" Meiser's blank which I heard was the same as the Beulah classic 4/5 10'6" blank.

Anyway, thank you for sharing.

Last edited by runningfish; 01-28-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:34 AM

badfish creek will become famous soon enoughbadfish creek will become famous soon enough

That is a Lemke reel seat. I was able to get a raw aluminum seat and I anodized it black and red myself to match my wraps. You can easily build yourself a cork lathe using a power drill.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
I just called them and the Batson guy told me that their 5wt switch rod blank is rated for 140-280 Grain. That is almost like a 3/4 weight grain window.
Hmmm, this could be a match in heaven.
Good call on Batson rating their rods (or should that be blank design) in a 1hander line rating. Have a Meiz 3/4/5 (12.5 feet so its no switch) and lined as a 'three' (Steve G. line) at 280 grains. As a 'five' you could have as much as 400!

Lined as a 'three' this thing will just bang out line for summer run or trout fishing.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:17 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish creek View Post
That is a Lemke reel seat. I was able to get a raw aluminum seat and I anodized it black and red myself to match my wraps. You can easily build yourself a cork lathe using a power drill.
I can assure you that I'll make the cork handle into a coke bottle shape if I were going to shape it myself. Yes, I am that bad with tools.

Speaking of the tools, need to ask for some suggestions on a beginner building kit. I see Mudhole is selling one for $70 complete with the bench. Any recommendations? and what kind of thread that I should be using?

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Good call on Batson rating their rods (or should that be blank design) in a 1hander line rating. Have a Meiz 3/4/5 (12.5 feet so its no switch) and lined as a 'three' (Steve G. line) at 280 grains. As a 'five' you could have as much as 400!

Lined as a 'three' this thing will just bang out line for summer run or trout fishing.
I consulted with Steve and he told me that Batson 5wt 10'8" blank was for 250grain. I am also thinking about getting the 4/5 11ft Meiser blank 300-450 grain. It is $60 more than the Batson and probably worth the extra money.
I am thinking, I am thinking, I am sinking.
fredaevans likes this.