The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 9iron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 06:25 PM

9iron is on a distinguished road
Default More of a repair question

But I figured you rod building enthusiasts would be the ones to ask.

My Redington CT reel seat (the end cap and threads, it's one piece) slid off. There's no damage, it wasn't banged or broken, the thing just slid off the blank. Inspecting the end of the blank where it attaches, looks like there's no glue residue at all. So two questions.

1. Will I void the warranty by regluing it on myself? I hate to send in a rod, pay for shipping, and then wait for redelivery over something so simple as glue, but I don't want to void the warranty either.

2. What kind of glue? Should I just put a few drops of superglue in it, or should I get some sort of quickset epoxy?
Old 02-11-2014, 07:20 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More of a repair question

I use 2 part 5 minute epoxy to glue on reel seats. If the part that came off impacts how the reel is oriented on the rod be very very sure it is lined up right before the epoxy sets. If it is just the butt cap and threads the orientation might not matter.

Have no idea about the warranty.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:49 PM

9iron is on a distinguished road

It's an uplocking threaded unit with butt cap. The hood that slides over the reel foot moves freely (orientation not an issue). The more I look at it, I'm thinking rough it up with sandpaper, 5 minute epoxy, act like nothing happened
Auntie Em and williamhj like this.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:38 PM

jr2525 is on a distinguished road

I would personally rough it up a little, mix up a small amount of 2 part epoxy and stick it back together. No need to send it back in for that.