The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 05:20 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default To turn and mount the bottom grip ?

I finally have some parts on order and intend to begin this switch rod I've been asking for advice on.

The thing I've been thinking about for a long time is how to go about turning the lower grip and mounting it without using a plug or butt cap. I want it to be all cork, no rubberized butts!

So if I glue up and turn on a mandrel then mount it, the issues I am pondering are:

1. since it will be mounted from the bottom of the blank the ID of the grip will essentially be the same the length, that of the butt of the blank. So the top of the grip will need to be shimmed. It will be minor though and I think that will be OK.

2. to create the grip without a hole in the bottom, I can either
a) shape all but the last two rings, then take the last two rings (one with a bore hole and the last one the solid ring), already glued up - and glue those two to the shaped grip on the end of the mandrel. After that is dry I would turn that to fit the rest of the grip.
b) bore all the rings to the large diameter and glue up on a short stout mandrel, and try to turn the entire thing without the tail stock of the mandrel supported.
c) shape and mount the entire grip except the last solid piece, then glue that on and try to shape it with a file and sand by hand, this seems like the riskiest.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2014, 06:39 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: To turn and mount the bottom grip ?

Do you have a three or four jaw chuck on your head stock? If you do a soild mandrel should work with the handle glued up on it. As long as its a solid mandrel and you don't run it full speed you shouldn't get any high speed wobble.

Since you are talking bottom handle I am assuming a two hander. One thing about using solid cork on the end will be wear. The majority of wear, on a two hander, will be right on the ball end of the aft handle. I am not a rubberized cork fan, but for wear, on the end, it is second to none.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 02-23-2014, 09:48 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Pete, yep still planning the two hander. I don't have a true lathe, I'll be using a drill set up, so a three jaw chuck. But I did just order a true hardened mandrel for the long fore grip.

When you say that the bottom cork will wear, are you afraid of it chipping or just wearing away from use? I've never fished with a two handed rod so I don't know how that bottom knob functions I guess.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:02 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

I am by far not a wizard on two handers, but I do know that my two hander's aft handle knob takes the bulk of the friction when I cast. Probably doesn't matter in most situations, but in the sand and saltwater things wear about 10x faster and that is one place I know gets cranked on.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 02-24-2014, 06:19 AM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

I remember a post here a while back where a member sheared off the end of his bottom handle on a rod he built. It was a premade bottom handle without a butt cap.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk