The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By swcr
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By cowger10
  • 1 Post By blazin84ta
  • 1 Post By dean_mt
  • 1 Post By dean_mt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 09:03 AM

cowger10 will become famous soon enoughcowger10 will become famous soon enough
Default Which reel seat

I have a tfo ticr 8 wt blank that I am going build up here soon. I was wondering what reel seat and fighting butt to put on it? Any suggestions?
Old 03-08-2014, 05:10 AM

swcr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which reel seat

I would use a Lemke LC25 or LC26
cowger10 likes this.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:02 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Lot's of choices. What look / finish are you going for? Budget? I've used the Baston A8 seat and really like it. It may or may not fit your aesthetic for the rod. American Tackle sells some options as well.

J Stockard is a great company to work with and have a very user friendly webpage. Utmost Enterprises is good to work with as well and charge actual shipping on the items.
cowger10 likes this.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:44 PM

Thanks guys I think that I am going to go with the American Tackle AL10. It seems to fit the look that I am going for.
williamhj likes this.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:15 PM

blazin84ta is on a distinguished road

I used american tackle on 5-6 rods and just bought an rec for my superfine blank and its beautiful so nice i bought another for the next rod i build
cowger10 likes this.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:47 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I did a lot of shopping for a reel seat that size. I knew I wanted a double lock ring and recesses hood, otherwise it was wide open. I liked the ALPS Triangle, Pac Bay's CLA 7 or 8, but ended up with an REC. Its the second REC seat I've bought, I like them, but they aren't cheap.

cowger10 likes this.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I did a lot of shopping for a reel seat that size. I knew I wanted a double lock ring and recesses hood, otherwise it was wide open. I liked the ALPS Triangle, Pac Bay's CLA 7 or 8, but ended up with an REC. Its the second REC seat I've bought, I like them, but they aren't cheap.

Dean
I will have to look into those and check them out I don't mind spending a little more if it is quality.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:43 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

It is quality, machined in Connecticut I believe. They are not high end in the Lemke class, but $30-50 so I guess high-mid level.

You can see all the models they have/can make on their website, but unless you don't mind waiting, I suggest ordering from a retailer that has them in stock. If you order from REC they make them as ordered, I don't think keep an inventory.
cowger10 likes this.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
It is quality, machined in Connecticut I believe. They are not high end in the Lemke class, but $30-50 so I guess high-mid level.

You can see all the models they have/can make on their website, but unless you don't mind waiting, I suggest ordering from a retailer that has them in stock. If you order from REC they make them as ordered, I don't think keep an inventory.
Dean I have checked their site and Mudhole I might have to wait and see and convince my with that I need a nicer reel seat. I will keep you posted.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:21 PM

swcr is on a distinguished road

Actually the Lemke seats are not as high priced as you might think and they definitely fall under the 50.00 range considerably unless it is the Titanium version.