The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 12:18 AM

qacwac will become famous soon enough
Default Question about 1st build

A friend of mine and I are planning on building rods in the coming weeks/months. As I have two single handed 5 weights and 8 weights, the only thing I really want right now is a switch rod (I'm thinking 7-weight, but not settled on that). After doing a ton of reading (thanks for all the info on here), I'm to my decision point.

Being that it is my first build, I was thinking of going ultra cheap (also since I've never done any two-handed casting), and then for a second build going with something nice. However, the cheapest reputable kits I've seen have been for around $150 and an R.B. Meiser kit (S2H11078-4) is $305. The blank is only $155 (And that looks like a rod I would be happy with for a long time.). I also found an 11' 5 weight switch kit on ebay for $77.50 shipped
Switch Rod Kit 4pc 5wt 11 ft Two Tips Reddish Brown by Roger | eBay

So, what would you recommend?

1. Ultra cheap $77.50 5 weight practice build and learn to cast kit
2. $155 RBM blank with inexpensive components
3. $305 RBM kit
4. something different entirely

Thanks, and I'm sure I'll be posting more questions once it actually begins.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:45 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about 1st build

Build something you'll want to fish. Even if wraps etc aren't perfect you'll enjoy fishing it and you can always strip the blank later and rebuild it as your skills improve. As for cheap components, I wouldn't skimp too much. For example, you can get cheap guides for less than a buck but I spend the money for snake brand guides at $3 a pop. The feet on cheap ones require a good bit of work before you can wrap them and they won't always be even or sit well on the blank. Also if you use cheap cork and epoxy it to the blank, if you want to upgrade it later you'll have to cut the cheap cork off, which takes some work.

Whether the blank in the cheaper kit is any good I don't know. Could be it would make a fine rod, but don't buy the cheap one unless it'll be a rod you'll enjoy fishing.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:47 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

There was a discussion of the 'by Roger' blanks on the ultra-light forum. Some people hated them; some liked them.

I've built five rods from those blanks. I'm one of the ones who likes them. I always bought the ones that came with a spare tip. I've not (yet) had to use one of the spares.

The last rod I finished (last week) was a 5 wt 11' model. I built it as a single-hander, though, not a switch rod. I used a 12" carbon grip. I plan to use it as a nymphing rod.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:57 AM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

The classic series switch is being discontinued from Beaulah and the rods are $275 , I would guess you should be able to find a deal on the blanks . I'm thinking about it but want to try it to see if I actually want to learn that style of fishing first.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:55 AM

qacwac will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the input. Still haven't pulled the trigger yet.

The only Beulah classic blanks I found were $197 for the 7/8.