The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kayo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 07:14 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Mandrel wax?

I am finally going to glue up some rings tonight, I got my nice perfect mandrel in the mail yesterday.

I'll be using Titebond II but I still want to wax the mandrel as its hard enough to move the 12" of cork rings along the shaft not even glued up.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

I found a puck of bees wax at Ace, so I am going with that ... We shall see.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:54 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mandrel wax?

Use it sparingly . I ruined a reamer by using too much wax. Gummed up the emery cloth and basically melted into it. Even a wire brush and my drill wouldn't clean it up. With Titebond I usually press the handle off using my lathe chuck and live center.

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 03-07-2014, 11:13 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I wish I'd asked sooner...they are all glued up and ready to go. So we'll see what happens. Actually I'll have to take a little out with a file before the reamer...being the cheap @ss I am I only bought a medium sized reamer.

Thanks Pete.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Petee, can you heat the reamer and get the wax to flow out? maybe burn it off?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-07-2014, 07:21 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Use teflon plumers tape, cheap
fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:04 PM

That's a good idea, I think I'll try that next time. But a hunk of wax is like $2, its not really about the cost. Of course I have Teflon tape around the house, I wish I'd thought of that!