The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By dean_mt
  • 1 Post By mridenour
  • 1 Post By petee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 01:44 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default TFO Deer Creek Switch

I finished this rod a month ago, my first two handed rod. Its an 11' DC Switch rod. I used universal Snake guides in the black nickel - which I really like, a nice REC black anodized aluminum seat, and built the grips with Flor cork. I built it for a friend for the cost of materials only. It ended up pretty good.

Click the image to open in full size.

jc

Last edited by dean_mt; 04-22-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:47 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: TFO Deer Creek Switch

I've been thinking about a Deer Creek for a 7WT Switch rod. That's a beauty. Well done!
dean_mt likes this.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:11 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Your finish work has come a long way in a short time. Definately can't call yourself a newbie builder
dean_mt likes this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 04-22-2014, 07:28 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Dean a Nice Build I suppose you can't wait to give it a workout & swing a few Flies with it.
Let us know how it performs as I was also looking at The Blanks.
Thanks.
Brian
Old 04-22-2014, 07:34 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Thanks guys, that means a lot to me Pete.

There are a few small bubbles here and there of course, maybe some are dust specks. I'll need to improve my work area to see every one of those little buggers. I've used TM lite the last couple times and like the way it flows. I didn't really inspect hard enough for bubbles but the stuff seems to be really good releasing bubbles.

The blank is actually a deep blue. The color comes out in sun but I took the pics under a nice overcast sky.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
Dean a Nice Build I suppose you can't wait to give it a workout & swing a few Flies with it.
Let us know how it performs as I was also looking at The Blanks.
Thanks.
Brian
I'm going send it off to its owner soon, I won't be able to swing it. But I really would like to try to cast that big sucker!

Old 04-22-2014, 11:23 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Great looking rod! Thanks for posting the pictures. What color are the wraps?
Old 04-23-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Great looking rod! Thanks for posting the pictures. What color are the wraps?
Thanks William. I wish I could capture the colors better. I used Pro Wrap thread. The main wrap is a dark blue nylon which blended in with the blank pretty well, just enough contrast. We chose to not use any metallics since there is no silver anywhere on the rod and I just don't like gold. Inspired by some of Pete's rods, I went with a light blue for the trim; made tipping wraps at the guides and did a spiral wrap with the light and dark blues at each ferrule and down at the base of the grip - which do not show up in the pics.