The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By qacwac
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 05:55 PM

qacwac will become famous soon enough
Default My ghetto rod dryer

Finishing up my switch rod. My first turner (using a can opener) burned out so this was attempt number 2. Works surprisingly adequately. For my next though I will definitely have a better setup.

Click the image to open in full size.

$4 thrift store Kitchen Aid hand mixer, random wood stand, homemade elastic bands, large plastic cap with CD edges for gear, PVC endcap with rubber bands for chuck, wooden dowel for axle, and a plastic ice cream lid for a washer. Couple other random pieces as well.

Had a great time building my first rod, but can't wait to do another one better. Still need some more practice before I drop any serious cash on a blank though.
mcnerney, Rip Tide, jpbfly and 3 others like this.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: My ghetto rod dryer

Pretty ingenious for sure. I would never have come up with that. I don't know how fast you are turning but I have a really old drying motor (circa 1985) that is 3.5 rpm and a new one (circa 2010) which is faster. I like the 3.5, just sayen in case you start shopping.

The book is packed and I'll mail it in the morning, you should have it by Thursday........ I kinds got caught up in stuff Friday & Saturday

Ard
imxer and mcnerney like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-11-2014, 06:35 PM

This one is definitely faster than that, Ard, even on low. I was about to send you a PM asking how much shipping was. Just let me know.

Seth
Old 05-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Account on hold

guest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to behold

Very cool contraption! I love this kinda stuff! When I was addicted to coral reef aquariums, the hobby was so expensive that "Ghetto rigs" was a celebrated art. On the webs foremost coral aquarium forum, theres a DIY section. In it is a thread called "Ghetto Rigs" where guys post their inventions... kind of like yours. I cant tell you how much crazy engineering I learned from that thread.

A very good friend of mine built an epoxy dryer for epoxy flies from an old disco ball motor. Before he passed away, he gave it to me. I use it a lot. Reminds me a lot of what you've got there.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:44 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

I have seen disco ball, microwave oven and bbq motors used, but never a hand mixer. That one might top the list for creativity. It just shows what a seemingly harmless addiction will lead to.

You know, when I look at the picture again I see a dual purpose contraption. Rod turner and a rig for making dubbing brushes. You're a marketing genius
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16

Last edited by petee; 05-12-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:45 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice! Love the creativity!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:56 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

They say that necessity is the mother of invention. Your contraption rocks ! Good job
Old 05-12-2014, 11:59 PM

Thanks, guys, but most of the credit goes to a buddy of mine. He was the "brains" behind it.