The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By petee
  • 2 Post By dean_mt
  • 1 Post By rott21

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 10:58 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Building on spline vs straightest line?

I'm getting going on a nice little classic Loomis IMX that I am excited about. I was a bit disappointed to look down the bottom section and find a noticeable curve. The spline is 90 degrees to the curve. I don't know what to do.

It seems like building on the concave side of the bend not the spline would be best. Am I wrong? Why?

Thanks.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:09 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Building on spline vs straightest line?

My personal opinion: Build on the straightest axis. In other words build on the curve and nobody will be able to tell the difference. Sage and several other manufactures build their rods on the straightest axis and if its good enough for them it is probably good enough for us.

If you build on the outside of the curve the hanging weight of the blank wants to straighten the blank. So when you are sighting down the blank it appears straight. Think back to when you grab a rod off the shelf what's the first thing you do after you wiggle test it? Yep, you sight down the rod to see if 1) the guides are aligned and 2) how straight the blank is. Its about perception, if you are going to pay good money for a rod do you want to see a curve in it? No. And since most of us aren't certified master casters the manufacturers are going to build where the rod looks the best.

I have always said hand a rod to fly fishermen and 95% of them couldn't tell you if the rod was built on the spine, 180 off or the straightest axis. Of the remaining 5%, 4% are guessing and 1% actually know, but that 1% are your master casters who make casting a broom stick look good.

If a customer has a specific request where they want the guides I will honor that, but usually I build on the spine.... unless the blank has a curve to it then I place the guides on the outside of the curve.

Pete
imxer, mcnerney, Auntie Em and 1 others like this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 05-21-2014, 10:54 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pete, that is was my general thought. I am certainly not close to master caster level and I doubt I will ever feel the difference.

And yeah, the outside of the curve...I wasn't thinking straight when I said concave side (bad pun intended).

fwiw: I have glued and bored the reel seat, have the cork rings glued up ready to turn, the snake guides are in the mail, and last night I put a coat of epoxy on some test wraps so I hope I can decide on colors and style. With each rod it gets easier to complete the prep steps...this one is going to be nice.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:26 PM

rott21 is on a distinguished road

Like Petee said building on the straightest axes seems to be the best way to go,but if it's a new blank then send it back for another one! and tell em that you'll send that one back also if not straight. Also I have been having very good luck with Quickline blanks,all are straight, fast, and light.And seem to be the best bang for the buck. Tight lines
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rott21 View Post
Like Petee said building on the straightest axes seems to be the best way to go,but if it's a new blank then send it back for another one! and tell em that you'll send that one back also if not straight. Also I have been having very good luck with Quickline blanks,all are straight, fast, and light.And seem to be the best bang for the buck. Tight lines
Its an old blank so I can't get a replacement. Thanks though.