The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 06:31 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New 10wt build

Love the build, nice flow to it. You might as well add a picture of the detachable fighting butt to satisify our inquiring minds. Have always hated the billboard huge TFO decal. Stopped me from building on them. Won't wrap a 6" overwrap on the decal or use acetone.

We're going to need a very detailed report after your trip!!! Muskey..... definately on my bucket list. So what? Now I have to build a 10 wt?
williamhj likes this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 06-06-2014, 09:03 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Nice one William. That is a beast of a rod! The chestnut Gudebrod is a nice match, and I like the simplicity. Did you try to clean the TFO decal off with alcohol or acetone? I've removed them before. It is big, but I left it on that TFO switch I made over the winter, I don't think it's that bad.

What's the reel seat?
Thanks! It is a Batson A8 uplocking with a recessed hood. I think it looks great and is nice and big for the rod. Also is suitable for salt if I ever want to bring the rod to a coast. I didn't try to clean off the decal. didn't want to mess with it so close to the trip. Honestly it's fine. The trim colors match it nicely and I think I'll just leave it. Aestheticwise I don't think I'd want one on a smaller trout rod but something about a 10wt musky rod that doesn't bug me as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
Love the build, nice flow to it. You might as well add a picture of the detachable fighting butt to satisify our inquiring minds. Have always hated the billboard huge TFO decal. Stopped me from building on them. Won't wrap a 6" overwrap on the decal or use acetone.

We're going to need a very detailed report after your trip!!! Muskey..... definately on my bucket list. So what? Now I have to build a 10 wt?
Yes, I have no desire to overwrap the whole thing. Instead I think I'll put the hook keeper below the decal and then a simple wrap with trim above it. Should be fine.

I agree, I need a picture to quiet anxieties and calm fears. Went with detachable so I can still fit the rod into my travel tube which fits into airplane overhead bins. Here it is:

Click the image to open in full size.

I'll be sure to post some pictures and a nice trip report Thanks for the kind words.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:48 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

That is a beauty.