The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 08:04 PM

todvan is on a distinguished road
Default Blank on the way - component recommendtions

I have a Batson RX7 793 Green blank on the way. This will be my 2nd build. The first one I purchased as a kit, it came with everything I needed.

Do fly rod building suppliers offer kits for everything except the blank? Would this be the best way to go? I am looking at BUL5 w/walnut reel seat in gunsmoke with gunsmoke single foot guides right now - but what do you suggest for components/colors - and what suppliers would be good? Thanks!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:28 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blank on the way - component recommendtions

You can get kits from Mudhole, or everything individually. They are one of most complete suppliers. I also check at Anglers Workshop, JS Stockard, Acid rod, Hook and Hackle...there are a lot! Each of them has different brands they carry so if there are specific component brands you want you have look around.

The gunsmoke stuff looks nice but if you are going to use it for one part then I would use the same company for all of it. It doesn't necessarily match between manufacturers.

Color preference is all you, its your rod!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:35 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

For the guides : Universal Snake Guides

and the hardware: Southwest Custom Rods - Lemke Reel Seat Hardware

Mudhole for the rest.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:07 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I've gone with the Universal Snakes on my last two builds, I'm pretty much sold.

Yet to use a Lemke seat, I was close last time but it fell through.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:40 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on the Snake Brand Universals. I get them from Proof Fly Fishing along with my cork. He's now selling thread, finish, etc etc, nearly everything you need for building the rod. I picked up the burnisher he is selling and really like using it along with the brushes and brush cleaner.

I've used reel seats from Dave Winslow. He sells several varieties of styles of seats and a lot of different inserts. Website is very easy to use - pictures, prices, etc. Generally turns the inserts to order, with quick turn around.

For winding checks I often get them from ye old english fly shop's ebay store. Great prices and selection.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:46 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

I do know that some suppliers, like Acid Rods, will put together a component kit. Kits are fine for your first couple of rods, but once you have built a couple of rods you will want to research your own components. It's all part of the addiction.

Snake Brand Universals.... best on the market. Match them with the Snake Brand winding check, tip top and stripping guides and you are ready to go.

Unless I am machining my own sliding band hardware I use nothing but Lemke hardware from Ron @ Southwest Customs. The Lemke LC1 in dark nickel is much classier than the BUL5 Gunsmoke (in my humble opinion). The quality is second to none. PLus Ron can also machine an insert for the hardware. But, you know that from the other forum.

If you ever go for an agate stripper look at Joe Arguello's guides.

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 06-25-2014, 10:04 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I bought all of my components for my last build from Mike at Snake Brand. Very nice components and Mike is great to deal with. That is where I will go again for my next build.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the replies, I will look into Lemke and Snake for sure.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:33 PM

I'm really happy Proof Fly Fishing is adding to its inventory with finishes, basic tools and the basic accessories. He's been great and super fast every time I've ordered guides from him. I'm definitely glad to be able to get Threadmaster, decent brushes, mixing cups etc all at once.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:55 PM

Has anyone tried to match the black nickel color of snake guides with a trim wrap? If so, what brand/color did you use?