The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By phoolish
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By mridenour

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 07:02 AM

phoolish is on a distinguished road
Default suggestions on blanks of MI. kings

Im going to be building myself a 9 or 10 wt fly rod for Michigan king salmon this year and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on blanks. I was thinking of using a MHX blank because of the life time warranty but was wondering if anyone else had any input.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 07-03-2014, 07:49 AM
mridenour

Default Re: suggestions on blanks of MI. kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoolish View Post
Im going to be building myself a 9 or 10 wt fly rod for Michigan king salmon this year and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on blanks. I was thinking of using a MHX blank because of the life time warranty but was wondering if anyone else had any input.

Thanks,
Shane
I don't have any input on which blank you should use but I like a 9WT for those Kings. It throws the big ESL's just fine and is plenty of rod for the big ones and can turn them when you need to.

Can't wait to go after them again in a few months!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the reply

I've been leaning toward the 9 wt. last year i used an 8wt and just did good just could horse them around like everyone else was.

I told my boss that September im taking a week off. He asked me what week and i told him a week or so after i get the call saying they are in the river. So i don't have much time for this build haha
Old 07-03-2014, 09:03 AM
mridenour

We are tentatively planning September 12-15 for our first trip. Fingers crossed on the timing. We were a little late when we went in October last year. Caught fish but not a little of fresh ones.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:33 AM

this is what happened to my cheap rod last year. Broke 3 times getting the bigger one in on the first day. had to barrow someones spare
Click the image to open in full size.
mridenour likes this.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:47 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't use it for salmon but built a 9' 10wt TFO Mangrove recently and loved it for Musky. The rod cast a 350 grain line with half-a-chicken sized flies very nicely. Found I could get some good distance and get the fly where it needed to be, tight to cover. Did a good bit of practicing to learn the stroke needed but the rod did the job very well. Can't speak to how it would do fighting a salmon (the pike and musky didn't run much), but my impression is that it would do well. I put a nice, large fighting butt on it and was able to get some nice leverage.
phoolish likes this.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:53 AM
mridenour

I just used a TFO ProII and liked it. Could probably used something a little stiffer down deep in the rod but it worked well. I think the Mangrove would be an awesome rod for Kings.
phoolish likes this.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Didn't use it for salmon but built a 9' 10wt TFO Mangrove recently and loved it for Musky. The rod cast a 350 grain line with half-a-chicken sized flies very nicely. Found I could get some good distance and get the fly where it needed to be, tight to cover. Did a good bit of practicing to learn the stroke needed but the rod did the job very well. Can't speak to how it would do fighting a salmon (the pike and musky didn't run much), but my impression is that it would do well. I put a nice, large fighting butt on it and was able to get some nice leverage.
i seen that when you posted it on rod building forum. beautiful rod

thanks for the reply, i have a 6wt TFO o bought a while ago and really like it but havent tried one of the mangroves. seen a few builds with them tho. Ive been talking with a guy about having him make a a custom grip and fighting butt. i want to get like a mini spey/switch style fighting butt.

Last edited by phoolish; 07-03-2014 at 10:42 AM.