The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By williamhj
  • 2 Post By plecain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 09:44 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Cracked single foot guide

Hey guys,

I could use a little help. I recently purchased some of these guides and one of them came with the titanium being minorly broken. By broken I mean that it was cracked, sort of not 100% connected full circle. If you can imagine taking a plain donut, pulling it just enough so that one part of the ring begins to separate from the other, but still stays stuck together, that's what it's like. It doesn't appear that it will affect the performance, and the ring inside looks fine, but I wanted to check and see if I should try and get a replacement, or if its not worth the trouble.

Also, the 3.06mm ring is equivalent to a #5, correct? It's for a 0wt rod, so I'm planning on going 5-5-5-5-6-7-8-10. Sound about right?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:34 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cracked single foot guide

I'd get it replaced. If you are building the rod it is worth doing it right rather than starting with damaged components.
imxer, Hardyreels and Auntie Em like this.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:47 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Get it replaced.

It will fray your line where the crack is if you don't. It will also eventually crack completely and fall out, usually at a bad time, like when you're fighting a big fish.

Just for future reference - you can get Fuji titanium guides for about the same price. I'd check those out for your next build.
Hardyreels and Auntie Em like this.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:04 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
Get it replaced.

It will fray your line where the crack is if you don't. It will also eventually crack completely and fall out, usually at a bad time, like when you're fighting a big fish.

Just for future reference - you can get Fuji titanium guides for about the same price. I'd check those out for your next build.
Thanks for the advice, although, to clarify, it is the titanium outer ring that is a touch broken, not the ring insert. Does that change the prognosis at all?
Old 07-18-2014, 12:32 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Thanks for the advice, although, to clarify, it is the titanium outer ring that is a touch broken, not the ring insert. Does that change the prognosis at all?
Sorry. Missed that part.

I still think you should replace it, though. The fraying I mentioned won't happen, but you'll still run the risk of the whole thing falling apart at some point.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:09 PM

Makes sense. Thanks for the help.